Industry Mill, Van Houten & Prospect Street, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Van Houten & Prospect Street, Paterson, NJ
Find maps of Paterson, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-15
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-67).
Building/structure dates: 1879 initial construction
Significance: The Industry Mill was, like many others in Paterson, used throughout the nineteenth century for the manufacture of textiles and textile goods. Unlike many of the mill buildings, however, the Industry Mill does not seem to have served as a machine shop at any time. In the early decades of the century, this mill was used for the manufacture of cotton goods. In 1879 a silk mill was added to the cotton mill.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. WEST ELEVATION
2. View of the west facade of the Industry Mill seen from the north, with the Harmony Mill on the left.
3. East facade of the mill showing gate and mechanism for controlling the intake of water from the lower raceway.
4. Detail of mechanisms controlling the gate.
5. View of the gateways and controlling mechanisms.
6. View of the end of the lower raceway showing the gates and controlling mechanisms for channeling water into the Industry Mill.
Back to Paterson, New Jersey