Grant Locomotive Works, Market & Spruce Streets, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
See 63 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Market & Spruce Streets, Paterson, NJ
Find maps of Paterson, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-9
Building/structure dates: 1851 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1974 demolished
Significance: Grant Locomotive Works leased land from the S.U.M. in 1851 and constructed a three story factory sixty feet wide by one hundred fifty feet long. Grant shard their premises with various silk and textile goods manufacturers over the fifty years they owned the factory. This was the smallest of the three locomotive works in Paterson.
Railroad Shops & Yards
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW SHOWING ARCHEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS OF LOCOMOTIVE PITS IN FORMER ERECTING SHOP. MACHINE SHOP IS BUILDING AT RIGHT.
2. CLOSE IN AERIAL VIEW OF ARCHEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS OF LOCOMOTIVE PITS IN FORMER ERECTING SHOP. MACHINE SHOP IS BUILDING AT RIGHT.
3. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS.
4. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS SHOWING BOILER ROOM AND CHIMNEY AT LEFT.
5. VIEW FROM THE SOUTH OF PARTIALLY DEMOLISHED BOILER ROOM AND CHIMNEY.
6. DETAIL OF BASE OF BOILER ROOM CHIMNEY.
7. Detail of the Grant Locomotive Works Erecting Shop looking southwest showing ruined wall and entrance of a single story addition.
Back to Paterson, New Jersey