Essex Mill, Mill & Van Houten Streets, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ
See 51 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Mill & Van Houten Streets, Paterson, NJ
Find maps of Paterson, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-6
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-7).
Building/structure dates: 1879 initial construction
Significance: Occupying the site that was first to be leased from the Society for the Establishment of Useful Manufactures, the Essex Mill buildings contain elements that can be traced back to 1804. The first structure on the site was the "Old Yellow Mill," a two story, sandstone building approximately 60' by 90', notable for the fact that its first tenant, Charles Kinsey, conducted one of the earliest attempts to manufacture paper using a continuous sheet process. The building was demolished at mid-century though the foundations were used in the construction of the existing back building, a three story structure, largely of brick, that was erected probably in 1856. The two major wings of the Essex Mill date from the early 1870s, when Robert and Henry Adams purchased the site from the Passaic Manufacturing Company and enlarged and modernized it. The mill, with a total area of almost 90,000 square feet, was used for the production of mosquito netting. As in the case of many of the mills in the Historic District of Paterson, the Essex Mill has been occupied by numerous businesses and used for a variety of purposes over the years. As late as 1969 there was an operating silk weaving operation in the mill that used machinery from the 1920s. The machinery, power shafts, belt drive and pulley system were in place at the time of the survey.
War (War Of 1812)
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING EAST.
2. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST.
3. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING WEST.
Back to Paterson, New Jersey