Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

New Jersey

>

Paterson

>

Allied Textile Printers, Van Houten & Mill Streets, Paterson, Passaic County, NJ



See 32 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB793334
Aerial View Looking North

HB793335
Aerial View Looking West

HB793336
Aerial View Looking West Southwest

HB793337
View Of Roofs

HB793338
Northwest Elevation Of Sawtooth Roofed Building Along Passaic River

HB793339
West And South Elevations Of Sawtooth Roofed Building On Van Houten Street

HB793340
Aerial View Looking East Northeast


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Van Houten & Mill Streets, Paterson, NJ

Find maps of Paterson, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NJ-17
Building/structure dates: 1836 initial construction
Significance: The remains of the Patent Arms Manufacturing Co., constructed in 1836, comprise some of the oldest building stock in the Historic District of Paterson. The lot was originally leased in 1813 to a firm which constructed a rolling mill and nail factory there. In 1836, the entire lot was leased to the Patent Arms Manufacturing Company. The Company tore down the nail factory and built a four story brownstone structure measuring 100 x 40 feet, in which the manufacture of Colt revolvers was undertaken. The first silk processing in Paterson also took place in this structure. In the 1840s, as the demand for silk grew, the mill was expanded by the addition of three new buildings. The gun factory closed in 1842, and the premises was devoted to various textile industries for many years, until the 1870s when Joshua Mason began to manufacture radiators in one of the outbuildings. Textile manufacturers have continued to use most of the mill's space to this date.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Mills
Weapons Industry


Related Names
Patent Arms Manufacturing Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTH
2. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING WEST
3. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING WEST SOUTHWEST
4. VIEW OF ROOFS
5. NORTHWEST ELEVATION OF SAWTOOTH ROOFED BUILDING ALONG PASSAIC RIVER
6. WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS OF SAWTOOTH ROOFED BUILDING ON VAN HOUTEN STREET
7. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING EAST NORTHEAST


Back to Paterson, New Jersey