Jackson Street Bridge, Spanning Passaic River, Newark, Essex County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Passaic River, Newark, NJ
Find maps of Newark, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-54
Significance: The Jackson Street Bridge was constructed in the area of the Morris Canal, a current National Register property, on the former site if Balback Smelting and Refining Company, by Fagan Iron Works whose founder, Lawrence Fagan, was a prominent and influential businessman and politician. The structure is an early steel span truss bridge that has a unique curved chord lattice truss (also known as curved chord quadruple intersection truss), for both fixed and swing spans.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW TO NORTHWEST WITH ONE SOUTH APPROACH SPAN, BRIDGE CLOSED
2. VIEW TO NORTHWEST OF SWING AND FIXED SPANS, BRIDGE CLOSED
3. GENERAL VIEW TO NORTHWEST, BRIDGE OPEN
4. VIEW WEST OF SOUTH APPROACH
5. VIEW SOUTHEAST OF SOUTH APPROACH
6. VIEW NORTH OF SOUTH PORTAL OF MOVABLE SPAN
7. VIEW NORTH OF FIXED SPAN
8. VIEW NORTH OF CONTROL HOUSE, BRIDGE CLOSED
9. VIEW SOUTHWEST OF NORTH GATEHOUSE, BRIDGE OPEN
10. VIEW NORTH OF MOVABLE SPAN UPPER MEMBERS, FROM CONTROL HOUSE, BRIDGE CLOSED
11. VIEW NORTH OF NORTH HALF OF MOVABLE SPAN AND ALL OF FIXED SPAN FROM CONTROL HOUSE ROOF, BRIDGE CLOSED
12. DETAIL VIEW NORTH OF CONTROL HOUSE AND AIR TANKS, BRIDGE OPEN
13. DETAIL VIEW NORTH OF MOVABLE SPAN CENTER, BRIDGE OPEN
14. DETAIL VIEW NORTH OF MOVABLE SPAN SUPPORT AT MID-SPAN, BRIDGE OPEN
15. VIEW NORTH OF MOVABLE SPAN CLOSING, WITH JACK AND MOTOR UNDER SPAN
16. DETAIL VIEW WEST OF MOVABLE SPAN SUPPORT AND SWING MECHANISM ON CENTRAL PIER, BRIDGE CLOSED
17. DETAIL VIEW EAST OF ORIGINAL WOOD BLOCK PAVEMENT, NEAR SOUTH GATEHOUSE
18. DETAIL VIEW WEST (BRIDGE CLOSED) OF CONTROL HOUSE INTERIOR; BOILERS AT LEFT, STEAM ENGINE AT RIGHT
19. DETAIL VIEW EAST (BRIDGE CLOSED) OF CONTROL HOUSE INTERIOR
20. DETAIL VIEW EAST OF MOVABLE SPAN FLOOR BEAMS, BRIDGE OPEN
21. VIEW NORTHEAST OF FIXED SPAN AND ABUTMENT
22. DETAIL VIEW NORTHEAST INSIDE TURNTABLE
23. DETAIL VIEW WEST OF TURNTABLE GEARS, PINIONS, AND ROLLERS
24. GENERAL PLAN OF BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER, SECTION 1, SOUTH APPROACH & SWING SPAN
25. GENERAL PLAN OF BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER, SECTION 2, SWING SPAN AND NORTH SPAN
26. GENERAL PLAN OF BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER, SECTION 3, NORTH APPROACH
27. NEWARK BRIDGE 18-M-29 Plan of False Work for 170 ft. Span
28. 170'-0' FIXED SPAN 18-M-32 Diagram of 170' Fixed Span
29. DRAW SPAN. BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-82; Sheet No. 1 Details of Top Chords U0-U3, T1 Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
30. DRAW SPAN. BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-83; Sheet No. 2 Details of Top Chords U4-U6, T1 Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
31. DRAW SPAN. BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-84; Sheet No. 3 Details of Top Chords U6-U9, T2 Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
32. DRAW SPAN. BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-85; Sheet No. 4 Details of Top Chords U10-U13, T4 Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
33. DRAW SPAN - PASSAIC RIVER - NEWARK 18-M-86; Sheet No. 5 Details of Lower Chords L0-L7, L1 and L2 Scale 1'=1'
34. NEWARK BRIDGE DRAW SPAN 18-M-87; Sheet No. 6 Details of Lower Chords L8-L13, L3 and L4 Scale 1'=1'; March 1897
35. DRAW SPAN - PASSAIC RIVER - NEWARK 18-M-88; Sheet No. 7 Details of Top Laterals and Struts Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
36. DRAW SPAN - PASSAIC RIVER - NEWARK 18-M-89; Sheet No. 8 Details of Top Struts Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
37. DRAW SPAN - PASSAIC RIVER - NEWARK 18-M-90; Sheet No. 9 Details of Portal Struts and Brackets; P, B1 and B2 Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
38. NEWARK BRIDGE DRAW SPAN 18-M-107; Sheet No. 30 Full Size Layout of Rack and Pinion
39. DRAW SPAN OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-108; Sheet No. 31 Detail of Center Spider Frame Scales 1' and 3' = 1'; January 1897
40. DRAW SPAN OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-109; Sheet No. 32 Erection Diagram for Center Spider Frame January 1897
41. DRAW SPAN OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-110; Sheet No. 34 Details of Center Casting and Steel Ring Scale 1-1/2'=1'; February 1897
42. DRAW SPAN OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-111; Sheet No. 35 Details of Struts and Drum Radial Center Ring Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
43. NEWARK BRIDGE DRAW SPAN 18-M-112; Sheet No. 40 Details of Drum Girders Scale 1'=1'; February 1897
44. BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-127; Sheet No. 56 Erection Plan for Draw Span Floor System
45. NEWARK BRIDGE APPROACH. 1ST PLATE GIRDER SPAN 18-M-135; Sheet No. 64 Details of End Segments Scale 1'=1'; April 1897
46. NEWARK BRIDGE 18-M-140; Sheet No. 69 General Plan of Operating Machinery for Draw Span Scale 1/2'=1'; May 1897
47. DRAW SPAN OVER PASSAIC RIVER Drawing No. 54 General Details of Wedge Operating Machinery for Draw Span Scale 1-1/2'=1'; April 1897
48. PORTALS FOR NEWARK BRIDGE 18-M-144; Sheet No. 73 Details of Portals Scale 1'-1'; July 1897
49. NEWARK BRIDGE DRAW SPAN 18-M-155; Sheet No. 84 Machinery House Floor Detail Scale 1/2'=1'
50. NEWARK BRIDGE DRAW SPAN 18-M-156; Sheet No. 85 Machinery House Elevation and Section Scale 1/2'=1'
51. STRAIN SHEET FOR DRAW SPAN 18-M-162.
52. GENERAL DRAWING OF DRAW SPAN
53. 18-M-163; No. 894; Elevation View Scale 3/8'=1'
54. MOTORHOUSE FOR BRIDGE OVER PASSAIC RIVER 18-M-166; Plan, Elevation and Section Views Scale 1/4'=1'
55. DRAW SPAN TRUSS GEOMETRY 18-M-167
Back to Newark, New Jersey