Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > New Jersey > Morristown vicinity > Brookrace Estate, Bounded to north by Roxiticus Road, west by Union , Morristown, Morris County, NJ



See 39 maps of this location


B&W Photos
BWPhotos 381037
HB837056
BWPhotos 381037
BWPhotos 381038
HB837057
BWPhotos 381038
BWPhotos 381039
HB837058
BWPhotos 381039


Item Title
BWPhotos 381039

Location
west by Union, Morristown vicinity, NJ

Find maps of Morristown, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NJ-1216
Building/structure dates: 1912 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1914 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1918 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1932 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1933 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
Significance: Bookrace Estate includes buildings and structural remains from three centuries of use. 18th century land uses included two homes, a grist mill and structures related to an adjacent iron forge. In the 19th century, several sheep farms prospered, supplying the woolen mills of Ralston, a rural industrial hamlet which developed along the North Branch of the Raritan River. A late 19th century saw mill stood on McVicker's Brook. The property is included within the proposed expanded Ralston Historic District. In 1912, Brookrace Estate into being. Col. Richard Williams bought up over 500 acres, farm by farm. Architect Ernest Flagg designed the Manor House, built in 1914. In 1918, Mead, McKim and White designed the ballroom addition. Brookrace Estate is significant because it was designed by master architects...In 1932, Brookrace Estate became the Mortimer L. Schiff Scout Reservation, the National Leadership Training Center for the Boy Scouts of America. Here leaders came together to design the scouting program, forging a unity of purpose and uniformity of practice. Schiff Reservation is significant because of its association with the development of this important American organization.

Subjects
Education
Agriculture
Publishing Industry


Related Names
Flagg, Ernest
McKim, Mead & White
Williams, Col. Richard
Boy Scouts Of America
Schiff, Mortimer L.
Embury, Aymar
Tucher, Rob, Photographer
Lenik, Edward J., Historian
Gibbs, Nancy L., Historian
Baranowski, Elise, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Morristown vicinity, New Jersey