Jacob Shimer House, Old Mine Road, Millville, Sussex County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Old Mine Road, Millville vicinity, NJ
Find maps of Millville, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NJ-818
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-574).
Significance: Jacob Shimer probably built this house in the 1790s on property belonging to his father, Captain Abraham Shimer. It remained in the family until 1912, but was apparently occupied by tenant farmers in the later 19th century. The house exhibits some fine Federal woodwork.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH (FRONT) AND EAST ELEVATIONS
2. NORTH AND WEST ELEVATIONS
3. EAST WALL, EAST ROOM, FIRST FLOOR
4. FIRST FLOOR STAIRHALL, LOOKING NORTH
5. EAST WALL, EAST ROOM, SECOND FLOOR
Back to Millville vicinity, New Jersey