Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

Lanoka Harbor

>

Towns of Lanoka Harbor & Murray Grove, U.S. Highway 9, South bank of Cedar Creek, Lanoka Harbor, Ocean County, NJ



See 25 maps of this location


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
South bank of Cedar Creek, Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Find maps of Lanoka Harbor, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NJ-1022
Building/structure dates: 1750
Part of building/structure is in Murray Grove, Ocean County, NJ.
Significance: Lanoka Harbor and Murray Grove were established in the mid 18th century and are representative of the typical bay town, often referred to as the "Barnegat Bay resorts." The villages fronting the bay were established communities relying on the products of forest trade and sea long before the railroad brought resort trade. Lanoka Harbor and Murray Grove were supported by a substantial oyster industry. Murray Grove is further renowned as the "birthplace of Universialism America," where the first Universialist sermon in the United States was preached. The Unitarian influence remained in the community, with the establishment of the Murray Grove Universialist and Unitarian Retreat and Conference Center in the early 1800s.

Subjects
Cities & Towns


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey