Central Railroad of New Jersey, Pier 19, Hudson River waterfront, Jersey City, Hudson County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Hudson River waterfront, Jersey City, NJ
Find maps of Jersey City, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-27-B
Building/structure dates: 1920 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1984 demolished
National Register Number: NR
Significance: The pier and its attendant structures represent the last vestiges of the repair facility for the harbor craft of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, which developed its huge harborside transportation complex on the Jersey City shoreline in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View toward the east, looking at (from left to right) the thawing shed, (rear) the old paint shed, dining hall, rest rooms and lockers building, blacksmith shop, stack of demolished powerhouse, guard house, and storage shed.
2. Looking southeastward at (left to right) the office building (only roofline is visible), the storage shed, the carpentry shop, the lumber shed, and the sawing house.
3. View looking eastward at the machine shop.
4. View toward the north, looking at (from left to right) the blacksmith shop, storage shed, and machine shop.
5. Looking eastward at the storage shed.
6. View westward, looking at (from left to right) the offices/storage building and the trestle to the demolished powerhouse.
7. Locking westward at the office building.
8. View toward the souithwest, looking at (from left to right) the office building, the carpentry shop (rear), and storage shed.
9. View northward at the blacksmith shop.
10. View toward the northeast at the southern facade of the blacksmith shop.
11. Interior view of the blacksmith shop, showing the steam hammer at the left, the oil-fired forge and hood at the right, and the anvil in the right foreground.
12. View toward the southwest along the bulkhead of Pier 19.
13. View northwestward at various sheds and office buildings.
14. View westward at carpentry shop (left) and sheds (center and right)
15. View eastward looking at (left to right) storage shed, machine shop, office buildings, and shed.
16. View westward at the lumber storage shed.
17. View southwestward to () left to right) the sawing house, carpentry shop, and various sheds.
18. View westward at the carpentry shop.
19. View northward at the sawing house.
20. Interior of the sawing house.
21. Interior view of the sawing house.
22. View northward at the former CRRNJ coaling yard. The thawing sheds are at the right.
23. View towards the northwest at the south (left) and north (right) thawing sheds.
24. View northwestward at the center bay of the east end of the south thawing shed.
Back to Jersey City, New Jersey