Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

Hoboken

>

Hoboken City Hall, 86-98 Washington Street, Hoboken, Hudson County, NJ



See 63 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB823091

HB823092

HB823093

HB823094

HB823095

HB823096

HB823097

HB823098

HB823099


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
86-98 Washington Street, Hoboken, NJ

Find maps of Hoboken, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NJ-51
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-558).
Building/structure dates: 1883 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1913 subsequent work
Significance: City Hall has served as Hoboken's political center since 1883, and was the first building in Hoboken ever constructed exclusively as a city hall. An 1880 Act of the State Legislature authorized cities without city halls to construct ones on city-held or donated public squares.Hoboken typified the proverbial "melting pot" for immigrants of all nations. It is therefore very significant that its city hall was built by a German immigrant, Francis George Himpler, who adopted Hoboken as his second home and subsequently became an architect of regional and national significance. City Hall was designed by him during the prime of his career, after he had completed the designs of several civic and religious buildings in Hoboken. City Hall also derives significance as a military center-- its top floor originally housed an armory. When the hall was enlarged in 1911, a floor was added and the armory was relocated to the new top floor.At dawn of the Progressive movement in Hoboken (ca. 1911), recommendations were made by the Board of Trade to expand and rehabilitate the City Hall building. An addition made from 1912-1913 created one additional floor and placed two wings and a Beaux Arts entry portico onto the main facade of the 1883 structure. The addition symbolizes the ambition of the city in the first decade of the 20th century in striving to be "modern." In 1976, City Hall, nominated to the National Registers underwent a rehabilitation which included a new roof, new windows, and the stabilization, and restoration of brownstone and copper trim. Once again, the preservation and reuse of the building was chosen, a preference that reflects the growing appreciation of the old architecture of Hoboken.

Related Names
Himpler, Francis George


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Principal facade,view looking west
2. Detail of main entry of principal facade
3. View looking southeast of 1st Street facade (to left) and Bloomfield Street facade (to right)
4. Main stairway of 1st floor
5. City clerk's office
7. Detail of above photograph
8. Photocopy ,view looking northwest, photographer unknown,date unknown donated to Hoboken Public Library by Elysian Camera Club
9. Photocopy ,view of principal facade during celebration of August Grassman's city council victory,photographer unknown,1880, donated to Hoboken Public Library by Elysian Camera Club
10. Photocopy ,view of principal facade,photographer and date unknown, donated to Hoboken Public Library by Elysian Camera Club


Back to Hoboken, New Jersey