Fink Through-Truss Bridge, Hunterdon County Government Complex (moved to), Flemington, Hunterdon County, NJ
Photo Caption Pages
Hunterdon County Government Complex (moved to), Flemington vicinity, NJ
Find maps of Flemington, NJ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NJ-18
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-13; N14).
Building/structure dates: 1858 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1978 demolished
Part of building/structure is in Clinton vicinity, Hunterdon County, NJ.
Significance: At the time of its demolition in 1978, the Hamden bridge was one of only two Fink Through-Truss Bridges known to remain in the U.S. (The other is in Tuscarauras County, Ohio. See The Ohio Historic Bridge Inventory, Evaluation and Preservation Plan, Ohio Department of Transportation, 1983: p. 43). Albert Fink formulated a structural suspension system that was an early and effective method of spanning relatively large distances with cast and wrought iron components. The bridge at Hamden is an excellent example of the Fink Truss design.At the time of its collapse in 1978 it was one of the last two surviving examples of cast- and wrought-iron bridges using Albert Fink's patented suspension truss system. It was also one of the oldest standing metal truss bridges in the United States.
The Trenton Locomotive & Machine Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST, 3/4 ELEVATION Photocopy of Historic Photograph, Office of Hunterdon County Engineer, Flemington, NJ, ca. 1940-50. Photographer unknown.
2. VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST, GENERAL ELEVATION
3. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST, 3/4 ELEVATION
4. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST,'BARREL SHOT'
5. VIEW LOOKING EAST, 3/4 ELEVATION SHOWING BOTTOM CHORD CONNECTIONS
6. VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST, 3/4 ELEVATION SHOWING BOTTOM CHORD CONNECTIONS
7. DETAIL VIEW, ENDPOST LOKING EAST
8. DETAIL VIEW, NORTHWEST PORTAL
9. DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHEAST SHOWING DIAGONAL TENSION MEMBERS GUARDRAIL
10. DETAIL VIEW LOOKING EAST, SHOWING BOTTOM CHORD CONNECTIONS
11. DETAIL VIEW, SHOWING BASE OF ENDPOST AND BOLTS CONNECTING BRIDGE TO ABUTMENT
12. DETAIL VIEW, NORTHWEST PORTAL CONNECTION
13. DETAIL VIEW, TOP CHORD CONNECTION
VIEW OF BUILDERS PLAQUE FROM THE BRIDGE, NOW LOCATED AT THE HUNTERDON COUNTY ENGINEER'S OFFICE. Photocopied from 35mm slide, original by Alex Gratiot, photographer, 1975.
Back to Flemington vicinity, New Jersey