Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

Edgewater

>

Ford Motor Company Edgewater Assembly Plant, Substation, 309 River Road, Edgewater, Bergen County, NJ



See 56 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB832875

HB832876


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
309 River Road, Edgewater, NJ

Find maps of Edgewater, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NJ-53-B
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1980 demolished
Significance: Ford Motor Company built the Edgewater Assembly Plant as the largest of six such plants in the United States c.1928-31, to expand production of the Model A automobile line introduced in late 1927. The Edgewater plant, operating until 1955 as the longest-used of the c.1928-31 Ford assembly complexes, typified the heavily-conveyorized, densely-packed, horizontally-arranged assembly operations which characterized Ford methods c.1928-50. The Substation was significant as a component of the complex, supplying power from the local public utility to the Assembly Building , Boiler House and Oil House (see HAER No. NJ-53 and NJ-53-A). Albert Kahn, perhaps the most important industrial architect working in the United States c.1903-42, designed all six assembly plants. Kahn's exterior for the Substation switchhouse was a scaled-down version of important facade features used on the Assembly Building, which was the most architecturally successful of the major structures built during the Ford branch plant program. Along with the Boiler House and Oil House, the Substation presented a unified set of auxiliary structure facades to complement the much larger Assembly Building.

Related Names
Ford Motor Company
Kahn, Albert
Turner Construction Company
Pittsburgh Clay Products Company
Hartz Mountain Industries, Incorporated
Raber, Michael S., Historian
Flagg, Thomas R., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Edgewater, New Jersey