Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Jersey

>

East Millstone vicinity

>

Delaware & Raritan Canal, Six Mile Run Culvert, .2 mile South of Blackwells Mills Road, East Millstone, Somerset County, NJ



See 37 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB828217

HB828218

HB828219

HB828220


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
.2 mile South of Blackwells Mills Road, East Millstone vicinity, NJ

Find maps of East Millstone, NJ


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NJ-67
Building/structure dates: 1834 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1933
Building/structure dates: 1944 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1984 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1986 subsequent work
National Register Number: NR
Significance: The Six Mile Run Calvert is an integral part of the Delaware & Raritan Canal's (hereafter D&R Canal) early nineteenth-century engineering design. The culvert's original construction remains largely intact and consists of three 130-foot-long stone masonry barrels that carry Six Mile Run beneath the canal prism. Built between 1830 and 1834, the D&R Canal is an excellent example of early nineteenth-century American canal technology. In 1973, the D&R Canal, including Six Mile Run Culvert, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Subjects
Civil Engineering
Recreation
Water Supply


Related Names
White, Canvass


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. View east at west facade of culvert outlet headwall, above which part of the canal bank has been removed. Foreground to background: streambed and coffer dam (mound in center) that was used in dewatering the culvert; intake pipes (extreme left and right) for dewatering pumps; deteriorated culvert outlet headwall with upper portion of wall fallen away; horizontal masonry cutoff wall extending above the culvert outlet partially up the canal bank (cutoff wall was exposed by removal of part of canal bank); towpath at top of canal bank.
2. View east at north end of west facade of culvert outlet headwall with part of canal bank removed. Foreground to background: dewatered streambed with pump intake (left) and coffer dam (right); outlet headwall with partially intact voussoirs; partially removed canal bank revealing horizontal masonry cutoff wall (exposed in trenches to left and right); towpath at top of canal bank.
3. View east at south end of west facade of culvert outlet headwall with part of canal bank removed. Foreground to background: dewatered streambed with coffer dam (left) and pump intake (right); outlet headwall with partially intact voussoirs; horizontal masonry cutoff wall extending above the culvert outlet partially up the canal bank (exposed in trenches to left and right).
4. View southeast at culvert outlet with part of the canal bank removed. Right to left: dewatered streambed and coffer dam; tops of culvert barrels and curved wingwalls exposed; horizontal masonry cutoff wall partially up the canal bank.


Back to East Millstone vicinity, New Jersey