Walpole-Westminster Bridge, Spanning Connecticut River between Walpole, NH & W, Walpole, Cheshire County, NH
See 46 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
NH & W, Walpole, NH
Find maps of Walpole, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-13
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1933 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1988 demolished
Part of building/structure is in Westminster, Windham County, VT.
Significance: The bridge is significant in the history of transportation in the Connecticut River valley and in the evolution of 19th-early 20th century bridge engineering. The bridge, erected in 1910, is located on the site of the third bridge to span the Connecticut River (1807). The structure is a part of a continuum of wooden, covered, and steel spans at this crossing, which have contributed to the development of the regional transportation network and the economy of the Connecticut River Valley...
Steel Girder Bridges
Worcester, Joseph R.
Walsh's Holyoke Steam Boiler Works
Fitzgerald, J. J.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View south. North elevation - Walpole span, link span, and Westminster span.
2. View northeast. South elevation - Westminster span, link span, Walpole span.
3. View west. North elevation - Walpole span in foreground, link span; Westminster span in background.
4. View northwest. South elevation - Walpole span, link span, and Westminster span. Structure on east pier is stream level gauge station.
5. View southwest. North elevation - west pier, upstream side.
6. View south. North elevation - upstream face of east pier; details of pier bearing and cantilevered link space hinge (center right).
7. View west. East pier and underside of Walpole span, showing deck beams, stringers, and wind bracing rods. Structure on pier is a stream level gauge station.
8. View east. East abutment, showing bearings on concrete pads, drainage pipes for approach, and scupper downspouts.
9. View southwest. Typical bearing detail (northwest corner. Walpole span) showing slip plate and bolted anchorage.
10. View northwest Typical panel detail (south chord) of variable section girder showing riveted connections, angle stiffeners for girder web, and nuts securing wind bracing rods.
11. View west. East (Walpole, N.H.) approach; Westminster. Vt. across Connecticut River.
12. View east. West (Westminster, vt.) approach; Walpole, N.H. across Connecticut River. Site and ruins of Walpole railroad station is on right side of photo, far bank.
13. View west. Bridge manufacturer's plate; at east end of Walpole span, south chord - 'Walsh's Holyoke Steam Boiler Works Holyoke, Mass. Builders'.
14. View northeast. Detail of typical fish plating, riveted to top flange at center of each span. Same detail is found at center of both lower chords.
15. View north. Detail of west end of link span, north chord, showing expansion joint and typical scupper inside of plate, girder web.
16. Photocopy of photograph of construction of Walpole-Westminster bridge during October/November, 1910; postcard/photograph from Walpole Historical Society scrapbook collection. View east: Westminster span during erection, 1910.
17. Photocopy of photograph of completed Walpole-Westminster bridge; postcard/photograph from Walpole Historical Society (Walpole, N.H.) scrapbook collection. View south: north elevation, c. summer 1911.
18. Photocopy of photograph of Walpole-Westminster bridge at high water during flood of November, 1927; photograph from Walpole Historical Society scrapbook collection. View west: Walpole approach (railroad station and store) and Connecticut River at flood stage, November, 1927.
24. Photocopy of 1936 repair drawing for 'Walpole, N.H. Westminster' by State of New Hampshire Highway Department. (Filed with N.H. Department of Transportation, Bridge Design Division plan archives, Concord, N.H.) Sheet: 1 of 1 Repair and steel/concrete reinforcement details for east and west October 21, 1936
25. Photocopy of 1959 drawing for 'Walpole-Westminster Bridge Over: Connecticut River', unattributed. (Filed with N.H. Department of Transportation, Bridge Design Division plan archives, Concord, N.H.) Sheet: Westminster Abutment January 22, 1959
26. Photocopy of 1968 repair drawing for 'Walpole-Westminster Bridge Over: Connecticut River', unattributed. (Filed with N.H. Department of Transportation, Bridge Design Division plan archives, Concord, N.H.) Sheet: Deck and Expansion Joint Details June 13, 1968
27. Photocopy of 1968 repair drawing for 'VT. Route #123 over Conn. River' by State of Vermont Department of Highways. (Filed with N.H. Department of Transportation, Bridge Design Division plan archives, Concord, N.H.) Sheet: 4 of 8 Abutment Repair Details August, 1968
Back to Walpole, New Hampshire