Bellows Falls Arch Bridge, Spanning Connecticut River, North Walpole, Cheshire County, NH
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Connecticut River, North Walpole, NH
Find maps of North Walpole, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-6
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-1).
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1936 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1961 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1971 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1982 demolished
Part of building/structure is in Bellows Falls, , NH.
Significance: When built, the bridge was the longest single span highway bridge in the U.S. and is was among the largest three-hinged arch bridges in the world. The structure has also played an important role in socio-economic development of the Bellows Falls and North Walpole.
Steel Arch Bridges
Boston & Maine Railroad
Worcester, J. R.
Joseph A. Ross & Sons
American Bridge Company
Louis A. Shoemaker & Company
Lowe, Jet T., Photographer
Prevoort, Roger, Historian
Anderson, Richard K., Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Credit JTL General view looking upstream and towards New Hampshire, unidentified 'crazy man' perched on top of arch.
2. Credit JTL Detail view of builder's plate.
3. Credit JTL Long distance view looking upstream towards New Hampshire; commercial structures in foreground.
4. Credit JTL Long distance view looking downstream: taken from Vermont side.
5. Credit JTL General elevation looking upstream.
6. Credit JTL General view from river level looking upstream towards New Hampshire.
7. Credit JTL General view looking towards New Hampshire and slightly upstream.
8. Credit JTL General view from river level looking downstream towards New Hampshire.
9. Credit JTL General 'barrel shot': looking towards New Hampshire with barricade in foreground.
10. Credit JTL 'Barrel shot' looking towards New Hampshire.
11. Credit JTL Detail view of upstream arch and abutment on Vermont shore.
12. Credit JTL Interior view of deck, hangers and arches looking towards New Hampshire.
13. Credit JTL Interior view of upstream arch and hangers.
14. Credit JTL Detail view of central compression joint (third hinge) of arch bridge.
15. Credit JTL Detail view of hanger looking towards Vermont.
16. Credit JTL Detail view of portal bracing with Vermont in background.
17. Credit JTL Close-up, detail view of portal bracing.
18. Credit NHDPWH Side elevation (original drawing).
19. Credit NHDPWH Stress diagrams, main truss (original drawing).
20. Credit NHDPWH Details of arch truss (original drawing)
21. Credit NHDPWH Details of 110 ft. approach span (original drawing)
22. Credit NHDPWH Details of Floor (original drawing)
Back to North Walpole, New Hampshire