Cohas Brook Bridge, Spanning Cohas Brook, Highway 28 (South Willow Str, Manchester, Hillsborough County, NH
See 38 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Highway 28 (South Willow Str, Manchester, NH
Find maps of Manchester, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-9
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Significance: The bridge is significant as the first example of an open spandrel, reinforced concrete, parabolic arch bridge erected in New Hampshire, and one of only three, apparently, in the state. The structure is significant for its association with the designer, Harold E. Langley, an important bridge engineer with the New Hampshire Department of Public Works and Highways during the second quarter of the 20th century; for its proximity to the site of several earlier crossings over the Cohas Brook; and for its association with the development of the city and state transportation network.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Langley, Harold E.
Childs, John N.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW FROM WEST, SHOWING EAST ELEVATION, LOOKING DOWNSTREAM
2. VIEW FROM NORTHWEST, SHOWING ELEVATION FROM OLD FIELDSTONE ABUTMENT WEST OF BRIDGE, MUNICIPAL GAS LINE
3. VIEW FROM SOUTH, SHOWING STATE HIGHWAY #28, DECK AND RAILINGS OF BRIDGE
4. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST, SHOWING WEST ELEVATION
5. VIEW FROM SOUTH, SHOWING HAST ELEVATION
6. VIEW FROM WEST, SHOWING DETAIL OF NORTH APPROACH SPAN AND INCISED PANEL OF REINFORCED RAILING
7. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST, SHOWING DETAIL OF TWIN REINFORCED CONCRETE PARABOLIC ARCH RIBS, OLD HARVEY ROAD FIELDSTONE ABUTMENT IN BACKGROUND
8. VIEW FROM WEST, SHOWING DETAIL OF ARCH RIB AND BENTS, LOOKING DOWNSTREAM
9. VIEW OF UNDERSIDE OF NORTH ABUTMENT SPAN, SHOWING MAIN ARCHES AND DECK BEAMS
10. VIEW FROM SOUTH, SHOWING DETAIL OF PIERS OF TRANSVERSE BRACING
11. VIEW FROM HAST, SHOWING OLD HARVEY ROAD BRIDGE NORTH ABUTMENT, HAILING OF NORTH APPROACH TO COHAS BROOK BRIDGE IN BACKGROUND
12. UPSTREAM ELEVATION AND PLAN
13. DOWNSTREAM ELEVATION
14. DETAIL OF COLUMN FOR ARCH SPAN
15. DETAILS OF BENTS
16. SLAB AND GIRDER DETAILS
17. CONCRETE PLACEMENT DIAGRAM
Back to Manchester, New Hampshire