Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

New Hampshire

>

Manchester

>

Cavanaugh Brothers Sales Stable, 58 West Central Street, Manchester, Hillsborough County, NH



See 53 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB777992
North Elevation (front)

HB777993
South Elevation (rear) And West Elevation (side)

HB777994
Detail Of Painted Sign - West Elevation

HB777995
First Floor Interior Overall View

HB777996
Second Floor Interior - Overall View

HB777997
Third Floor Interior - Overall View

HB777998
Detail Of Manual Elevator Mechanism


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
58 West Central Street, Manchester, NH

Find maps of Manchester, NH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NH-122
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1952 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1982 demolished
Significance: The Cavanaugh Brothers Sale Stable building is notable both for historical and structural reasons. It was constructed at a time when the city of Manchester had grown to be a very densely populated urban area dependent upon horsepower for the conveyance of people and goods. The Cavanaugh Brothers were locally recognized as aggressive dealers of horseflesh with branch operations in Boston and Taunton, Massachusetts. An innovative interior plan and roof structure allowed for the storage of horses on three levels--the basement and first and second floors. A manually operated elevator on the third floor was used to hoist grain to that level from where it traveled via a system of chutes to the floors below. Mixing of feed was also accomplished with this system through the use of multiple chutes which connected to a single conduit. Drainage of liquid animal waste was served by a three-level system of floor troughs connected to the city sewer at the basement level. At the time of its construction, the stable was admired for its modern conveniences and design including hot water and heating for the animals. The building could accommodate 150 head on the three floors. During its heyday, the building was adorned with painted advertising graphics on its two principal facades. Except for the graphic at the west side rear of the building, these signs have been overpainted.

Subjects
Fraternal Organizations
Stables
Brick Buildings


Related Names
Robinson, Michael, Field Team
Neckar, Lance, Field Team
Wheeler, Stephen J., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH ELEVATION (FRONT)
2. SOUTH ELEVATION (REAR) AND WEST ELEVATION (SIDE)
3. DETAIL OF PAINTED SIGN - WEST ELEVATION
4. FIRST FLOOR INTERIOR OVERALL VIEW
5. SECOND FLOOR INTERIOR - OVERALL VIEW
6. THIRD FLOOR INTERIOR - OVERALL VIEW
7. DETAIL OF MANUAL ELEVATOR MECHANISM


Back to Manchester, New Hampshire