Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, Paper Mill, Canal Street, Manchester, Hillsborough County, NH
See 59 maps of this location
Canal Street, Manchester, NH
Find maps of Manchester, NH
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NH-110
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-43).
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1882 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1967 demolished
Significance: The north and south sections of this mill were built by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company in 1853-54 for the Blodgett Edge Tool Company and Martin's Paper Mill respectively. The Martin Mill changed hands several times and was purchased in 1874 by John Hoyt and Company, paper makers. In 1862 Blodgett's was purchased by the Amoskeag Axe Company which in c.1881 was in turn purchased by Hoyt's, placing the entire complex under single ownership. The Wheel House was built by Hoyt in 1862; the Boiler House (69-141) somewhat later; and the various additions, els and subordinate buildings at other indeterminate times before and after. At some time in the late nineteenth century Hoyt's either was purchased by or changed their style to Amoskeag Paper Mills Company, which operated until recent years. In 1967 the mill was demolished by the Manchester Housing Authority as a part of the Amoskeag Millyard Urban Renewal Project. For information on the entire Amoskeag Complex, see: Amoskeag Millyard, HABS No. NH-019.
Blodgett Edge Tool Company
Martin's Paper Mill
John Hoyt & Company
Amoskeag Axe Company
Nagata, Ralston H., Field Team
Black, Phillip J., Field Team
Langenbach, R. Randolph, Field Team
Reyes, Raul G., Field Team
Nichols, Larry D., Delineator
MacDonald, Stuart, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Manchester, New Hampshire