191-193 Merrimack Street (House), 191-193 Merrimack Street, Manchester, Hillsborough County, NH
Photo Caption Pages
191-193 Merrimack Street, Manchester, NH
Find maps of Manchester, NH
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NH-206
Significance: Originally built as a single-family house and subsequently enlarged to contain a storefront and four residential apartments (ca. 1890-1910), the Furber House preserves several architectural elements of its original Greek Revival style design as well as later Victorian and early 20th century alterations including an Italianate style entry hood, a basement storefront and a plain rear wing. In its scale, setting and current appearance, the building reflects the growth and development of the City of Manchester and the evolution of the city's central neighborhoods from areas of single-family houses to mixed uses by the early 20th century.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. NORTH ELEVATION
2. NORTH FRONT AND WEST SIDE
3. SOUTH SIDE OF MERRIMACK STREET LOOKING SOUTHWEST, 191-193 AT CENTER
4. WEST AND SOUTH SIDES OF REAR WING
5. DETAIL OF NORTH (FRONT) ENTRY
6. INTERIOR VIEW OF FRONT ENTRY AND STAIRHALL, LOOKING NORTH
7. FIRST FLOOR, NORTHWEST ROOM, LOOKING NORTH
Back to Manchester, New Hampshire