Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Hampshire

>

Enfield vicinity

>

Shaker Church Family General Views, State Route 4A, Enfield, Grafton County, NH



See 45 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB777401


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
State Route 4A, Enfield vicinity, NH

Find maps of Enfield, NH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NH-190
Building/structure dates: 1792 initial construction
Significance: The Shaker community was established at Enfield in 1782 when missionaries from the Mt. Lebanon community converted several families in the Mascoma Valley. Over a period of ten years, these families met in the home of James Jewitt on the east side of Mascoma Lake. In 1792, the Enfield Shakers decided to consolidate their holdings and bought land on the west shore of Mascoma Lake. Here they built a communal village of other Shaker settlements. The meetinghouse (1793) and dwelling house (1794) were the first buildings constructed, then the barns shops and mills. Water from the adjacent hillside powered numerous mills for sawing lumber, milling flour, and tanning leather. By 1815 three families, as they were called by the Shakers, had been organized along the shore: The Church, South and North families. The Enfield Shakers prospered throughout the first half of the nineteenth century. Farming was the principal industry. The Shakers developed excellent herds of cattle and sheep as well as extensive gardens for growing seeds and medicinal herbs. The seed industry brought them income from the "world," and won respect for the quality of their products. They produced items such as rakes, scythes, brooms, measures, spinning wheels, and knitted items for use and sale to the "world." The Enfiled Shakers were known for extensive projects, notably the construction of the Church Family Stone Dwelling in 1837 and the Shaker Bridge which crossed Mascoma Lake. Large barns, mills, and shops marked the Shaker villages with a material success unequalled by any other group in the Upper Connecticut River Valley. The Enfield community closed and the property was sold to The Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette in 1928.

Subjects
Agriculture
Domestic Life
Shakers


Related Names
Missionaries Of Our Lady Of La Salette
Maynard, Preston, Delineator
Hochuli, Janet, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Copy photo: Albern Color Research, Inc., Philadelphia, July 1960 COPY OF A PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN ca. 1904 SHOWING PART OF THE ENFIELD, NEW HAMPSHIRE SHAKER COMMUNITY WITH THE GREAT STONE HOUSE IN THE CENTER


Back to Enfield vicinity, New Hampshire