Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Hampshire

>

Claremont

>

Sullivan Machinery Company, Main Street between Pearl & Water Streets, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH



See 37 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB780301

HB780302

HB780303

HB780304

HB780305

HB780306

HB780307

HB780308

HB780309

HB780310

HB780311

HB780312

HB780313

HB780314

HB780315

HB780316

HB780317

HB780318

HB780319

HB780320

HB780321

HB780322

HB780323

HB780324

HB780325

HB780326

HB780327

HB780328

HB780329

HB780330

HB780331

HB780332

HB780333

HB780334

HB780335

HB780336

HB780337

HB780338

HB780339

HB780340

HB780341

HB780342

HB780343

HB780344

HB780345

HB780346

HB780347

HB780348

HB780349


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Main Street between Pearl & Water Streets, Claremont, NH

Find maps of Claremont, NH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NH-4
Building/structure dates: 1927 initial construction
Significance: The complex of buildings was built between 1868-1927 by the Sullivan Machinery Company, manufacturers of mining and quarrying equipment. The firm had been founded in 1868 by J.P. Upham, Albert Ball, and Roger Love, to manufacture diamond drills (invented by Ball) and other quarrying machinery, water wheels, and mill fittings. The complex consists of five primary buildings; a Porge Ship, 3 Machine and Erecting Shops, and a Foundry Complex...

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Storage Facilities
Forge Shops


Related Names
Upham, James Phineas
Ball, Albert


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) photographer unknown, no date ALBERT BALL, MECHANICAL ENGINEER FOR THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY, WITH AN EARLY DIAMOND CHANNELER. BALL HELD OVER 130 PATENTS ON MINING EQUIPMENT WHICH INCREASED MINE PRODUCTION AND REVOLUTIONIZED THE PRODUCTION OF COAL FUEL.
2. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1871, photographer unknown ORIGINAL WOODEN BUILDINGS OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY, FROM THE WEST.
3. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection if the Claremont Historical Society) photographer unknown, no date ORIGINAL OFFICE AND MACHINE BUILDING OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINE COMPANY, BUILT IN 1888, FROM THE WEST. THE MAIN STREET FACADE WAS ALTERED IN 1912.
4. Photocopy of an engraving (original in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) artist unknown, no date FIRST COAL CUTTER MANUFACTURED BY THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY. THIS DEVICE WAS POWERED BY HAND.
5. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection if the Claremont Historical Society) 1888-1899, photographer unknown MAIN STREET FACADE OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY OFFICE AND MACHINE BUILDING FROM THE EAST. ONE OF THE ORIGINAL FRAME BUILDINGS IS VISIBLE ON THE RIGHT.
6. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1899, photographer unknown MAIN STREET FACADE OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY FOLLOWING THE ALTERATIONS OF 1899.
7. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1906, photographer unknown VIEW OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY FROM THE SUGAR RIVER, LOOKING SOUTH.
8. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical SDociety) Herbert Patch, Photographer, 1907 SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY WORKS FROM THE WEST.
9. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) F. A. Ball, Photographer, 1911 MAIN STREET FACADE OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY FROM THE EAST.
10. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) photographer unknown, no date SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY COMPLEX FROM THE WEST WITH THE BALTIMORE TRUSS BRIDGE VISIBLE IN THE MIDDLE DISTANCE. THE BRIDGE CONNECTED THE PATTERN STORAGE AREA ON THE LEFT, WITH THE MACHINE SHOP OF THE RIGHT.
11. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1906, photographer unknown MEETING OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINE COMPANY SALES MANAGERS DURING THE WEEK OF 16 DECEMBER, 1906. AMONG THE CLAREMONT MEN PICTURED ARE H.C. BERKEY, MINING ENGINEER (first row, first on left), ALBERT BALL, CHIEF ENGINEER (third from left, first row), THOMAS OFFICER, SUPERINTENDENT (second from right, first row), GEORGE BATEMAN, PURCHASING AGENT (first row, far right), AND J.D. UPHAM, TREASURER (second row, third from left).
12. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1890, photographer unknown GROUP PHOTO OF WORKERS WHO WERE CONSTRUCTING THE MACHINE SHOP. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN THE ORIGINAL BRICK BUILDING IN THE COMPLEX.
13. Service area northwest of the Machine and Erecting Shops, and the Machine Shop.
14. View to the east up the Sugar River. The 1920 enclosed wooden footbridge connected the Chain Machine Building to the company's power plant, pattern shop, and foundry. The Sullivan Machinery Co. Erecting Shop and Machine Shops are in the center of the photo, and the Baltimore truss bridge is visible in the background.
15. Interior view of the Sullivan Machinery Co. Foundry, constructed in 1908.
16. Sullivan Machinery Co. complex from the west. The Foundry (1908) is on the left, and the Erecting Shop (1919) in the right foreground, with the Machine Shop (1905) beyond it. A Baltimore truss steel bridge, built in 1905, is visible in the center of the photograph.
17. Baltimore through truss steel bridge (1905), built by the American Bridge Company. The bridge is 15 to 20 feet wide, with a wooden deck, and connects the Sullivan Machine Co. with the Foundry. The enclosed bridge in the background was constructed ca. 1920, and connects the Chain Machine Building with its power plant, foundry, and pattern shop.
18. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING FRONT ELEVATION OF OFFICE AND MAIN MACHINE SHOP
19. VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING NORTHWEST AND SOUTHWEST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS. OFFICE IS IN FOREGROUND, MAIN MACHINE SHOP IS IN CENTER, AND GARAGE IS AT FAR RIGHT
20. VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING SOUTHWEST (FRONT) ELEVATION OF MAIN MACHINE SHOP AND GARAGE
21. VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING NORTHWEST AND SOUTHWEST ELEVATIONS OF GARAGE
22. VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING SOUTHWEST ELEVATION OF ERECTING AND MACHINE SHOPS
23. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM MILL STREET, SHOWING SOUTHEAST ELEVATION OF ERECTING AND MACHINE SHOPS
24. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, OF SOUTHEAST ELEVATION OF ERECTING AND MACHINE SHOPS
25. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTH, FROM SUGAR RIVER, REAR VIEW
26. VIEW, LOOKING WEST, FROM SUGAR RIVER, REAR VIEW
27. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, STAIRS IN MAIN ENTRANCE OF OFFICE SECTION
28. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, ELEVATOR IN ENTRANCE HALL OF OFFICE SECTION
29. INTERIOR, SECOND FLOOR, FALL IN OFFICE SECTION
30. INTERIOR, MAIN MACHINE SHOP, LOOKING NORTHEAST
31. INTERIOR, MAIN MACHINE SHOP
32. INTERIOR, ERECTING AND MACHINE SHOE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
33. Photocopy of photograph. ORIGINAL SULLIVAN MACHINERY BUILDING. VIEW LOOKING NORTH, circa 1888.
34. Photocopy of photograph. ORIGINAL SULLIVAN MACHINERY BUILDING, VIEW LOOKING EAST, circa 1888
35. Photocopy of post card. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH ON MAIN STREET, SNOWING FRONT ELEVATION, circa 1900
36. Photocopy of photograph. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTH ACROSS SUGAR RIVER, SHOWING REAR ELEVATION, 1906
37. Photocopy of photograph. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHEAST ACROSS SUGAR RIVER, SHOWING REAR ELEVATION
38. Photocopy of photograph. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH ALONG MAIN STREET, SHOWING FRONT ELEVATION, circa 1911
39. Photocopy of drawing, PLAN, circa 1914
40. Photocopy of post card. VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING FRONT ELEVATION, after 1914
41. South elevation, Machine Shop, Sullivan Machinery Company looking east up Main Street.
42. Drafting area. Forge Shop sawtooth skylights face north.
43. Interior of Warehouse No. 34, Sullivan Machinery Company looking east.
44. Looking south towards Sullivan Machinery Company complex from the north side of the Sugar River. The footbridge was built in 1920.
45. Interior of top floor of the Pattern Shop in the Foundry Complex, Sullivan Machinery Company, looking east.
46. Materials storage area under the Brass Foundry in the Foundry Complex, Sullivan Machinery Company.
47. Partial east elevation of Forge Shop, 1901-1911 Sullivan Machinery Company.
48. Steam engine thought to be located in the Power Plant of the Sullivan Machinery Company.
49. Detail of floor system and electrical equipment, probably in the Sullivan Machinery Company, Machine and Erecting Shops.


Back to Claremont, New Hampshire