River Street Historic District, River Street between. Union & Pearl Streets, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH
See 36 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
River Street between. Union & Pearl Streets, Claremont, NH
Find maps of Claremont, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-5
Significance: Structures in the district include one of the major warehouses of the Sullivan Machinery Co., a small factory built in the latter part of the 19th century, tenement buildings and workers' cottages. River Street, which has served as an industrial service road, bisects the area. An interesting feature of the district is that, as originally constructed, the housing and warehouse and manufacturing facilities were all in extremely close proximity...
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. STREETSCAPE, RIVER STREET, LOOKING EAST FROM SUGAR RIVER GRIST MILL.
2. STREETSCAPE, RIVER STREET, LOOKING WEST FROM 40-42 RIVER STREET.
3. STREETSCAPE, RIVER STREET, LOOKING EAST FROM 22-28 RIVER STREET.
5. STREETSCAPE, GENERAL VIEW OF SITE FROM ACROSS THE SUGAR RIVER LOOKING SOUTH.
6. STREETSCAPE, GENERAL VIEW OF SITE FROM ACROSS THE SUGAR RIVER.
7. VIEW OF RIVER STREET LOOKING TO THE EAST. THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY WAREHOUSE IS ON THE RIGHT, AND DATES FROM 1912. THE TENEMENTS WERE CONSTRUCTED AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME.
8. VIEW DOWN RIVER STREET TO THE EAST FROM THE INTERSECTION OF UNION STREET. TENEMENT HOUSING, BUILT CA. 1912, IS VISIBLE ON THE LEFT. THE COMMERCIAL BLOCK WITH THE CROW-STEPPED GABLE DATES FROM THE 19TH CENTURY.
Back to Claremont, New Hampshire