Monadnock Mills, Mill No. 1, 13-17 Water Street, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH
See 39 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
13-17 Water Street, Claremont, NH
Find maps of Claremont, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-2-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-3).
Building/structure dates: 1839 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1867 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1870 subsequent work
Significance: Mill 1 is the oldest structure in the Monadnock Mills Company complex and the oldest mill in the Claremont Village Industrial District. Between 1836-39, a group of local investors formed the Upper Falls Company and, on speculation, built this 5 story brick textile mill on the south side of the Sugar River. The mill was vacant until 1843, when it was purchased by Parker, Wilder, and Parker, a textile investment from in Boston. The equipped the mill with cotton textile machinery from Fall River, Massachusetts, and began the manufacture of cotton ticking, sheet, and drilling...
Parker, Wilder, & Parker
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View of the Monadnock Mill No. 1 stair tower, showing the wooden spiral staircase built around a masthead.
2. Partial south elevation of Monadnock Mill No. 1. Despite several additions, the central stair tower retains its original design and detail. The doors are original.
3. Interior of the attic of Mill No. 1, looking west. Unlike Mill No. 2 or the Sugar River Grist Mill, there were no iron tension members in this roof truss design. The structural framing members and the roof sheathing have been encased in finish millwork.
4. Monadnock Mill No. 1 compression post/top chord detail. A mortice from an earlier framing member is visible as is a peg at the top chord where the finish millwork trim has been removed from the post.
5. Detail of the original stair in Monadnock Mill No. 1 tower.
6. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown Monadnock Mill No. 1 (1836-1839) from the southeast.
Back to Claremont, New Hampshire