Monadnock Mills, 15 Water Street, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH
See 39 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
15 Water Street, Claremont, NH
Find maps of Claremont, NH
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NH-2
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-3).
Significance: A group of Claremont citizens formed the Upper Falls Co. in 1836, in between then and 1839 constructed a five story textile mill structure measuring 40' x 130'. A boarding house was constructed during the same period. Both buildings were purchased in 1843 by Parker, Wilder, and Parker, of Boston, who equipped the mill with cotton textile machinery from Fall River, Massachusetts, and began manufacturing ticking, sheeting and drill...
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. North facade of the Monadnock Mills complex facing the Sugar River. At low water the fall line is visible. The first dam for Monadnock Mill No. 1 (the 5 1/2 story structure right of center in the photo) was built here.
2. South facade of the Monadnock Mills complex looking east down Water Street. Mill No. 2 is in the center of the photo, Mill No. 1 is to the right. The tower in Mill No. 1 retains its original design. The tower in Mill No. 2 was altered when an elevator was installed. The shed monitor in Mill No. 2 was constructed in 1879.
3. Detail of beam splice and column capital on the second floor of the Cloth Room Building/Old Bleach House, Monadnock Mills. Beam and column edges are chamfered.
4. Looking east down Water Street. In the foreground is the original Monadnock Mills boarding house. Beyond is a wood frame tenement building moved to that site in 1870.
5. Monadnock Mills Office Building from the southeast.
6. Southwest corner of Monadnock Mill Overseer's House. There were originally two of these structures. The other one was torn down in 1976.
7. Claremont Gas Light Company/Gas Works, Monadnock Mills. The iron gas holder is still in place inside the remains of the exterior brick walls.
8. Cloth Room Building/Bleach House of the Monadnock Mills complex. The Cloth Room structure dates from 1895; the Bleach House, in the background, from 1902.
9. Monadnock Mills complex from the south. Mill No. 1 is in the center, with the Wheel and Pump House and Mill No. 2 to the left, and the Clothroom Building/Bleach House to the right.
10. View of the Monadnock Mills complex showing (left to right) Mill No. 3 (1892), the Weave Shed (1876), and Mill No. 2 (1853). The Office Building is visible in the foreground, with Mill No. 5 to its left.
11. Monadnock Mills complex from the south showing the Cloth Room Building/Old Bleach House (1875, 1902), with the Boarding House (1836-39) and Storehouse (1902) in the foreground. Sunapee Mill (1843-44) is in the background.
12. Monadnock Mills complex: the Cloth Room Building/Bleach House from the southwest.
13. Mosley wrought-iron bowstring arch-truss bridge, built in 1870, carried employees, equipment, and utility lines across the Sugar River from Monadnock Mill No. 6 to the vicinity of the gasworks. It is a rare surviving example of this type of bridge, and was one of the first of its kind built in the United States.
14. View of the Sugar River with the Mosely Bridge in the foreground. Dam No. 3 and the Sullivan Machinery Company Foundry are beyond. A former loadgate is still in place at the top right of the dam.
15. Moseley iron truss bridge (1870) from the north, with the Monadnock Mill No. 1 (left), the Wheel and Pump House (center) and Mill No. 6 (right) beyond.
16. Rear of Monadnock Mill No. 2 (left) and Mill No. 1 (right). The Wheel and Pump House are in the center.
17. View of the gas works (1859).
18. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown General view of Monadnock Mills complex from the north. Dam No. 3 is visible in the foreground; a portion of the gas works is on the left; Monadnock Mill No. 1 in the center, and Mills No. 2 and 6 to the right.
19. Photocopy of a print (original in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No. date, artist unknown Advertisement for dimity quilts which were manufactured by the Monadnock Mills.
20. Photocopy of a photograph (original in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1890, photographer unknown View of the Monadnock Mills from North Street, showing the Company's gas works in the foreground. The saw mill (right) burned in 1894.
21. Photocopy of a photograph (original in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown Office of the Monadnock Mills.
22. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1900, photographer unknown View of the Monadnock Mills from the southwest. This view shows the original unglazed windows at the roof of the tower, and areaways which allowed light and ventilation into the basement level.
Back to Claremont, New Hampshire