Monadnock Mill Tenement, 1-18 Crescent Street, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH
Photo Caption Pages
1-18 Crescent Street, Claremont, NH
Find maps of Claremont, NH
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NH-176
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1892 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1978 subsequent work
Significance: This building was constructed on Main Street in 1870 for mill worker housing. In 1892 it was moved to its present location to make way for Monadnock Mill #3. It continued to be used for mill worker housing until 1932 when the Monadnock Mills were bought out by Bate Manufacturing Company of Bangor, Maine. The property was sold to private ownership and rented as an 18-unit tenement until 1983 when the City purchased it. It is currently vacant.
Moving Of Structures
Putnam, David S., Photographer
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Lurvey, Kenneth G., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW SOUTHEAST SHOWING NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION AND SURROUNDING BUILDINGS
2. VIEW SOUTHEAST SHOWING NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION AND VERANDA
3. VIEW SOUTHWEST SHOWING EAST AND NORTH ELEVATIONS
4. VIEW NORTHWEST SHOWING SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS
5. VIEW NORTHEAST SHOWING SOUTH ELEVATION
6. VIEW NORTH SHOWING BALCONY DETAIL
7. INTERIOR DOOR DETAIL
8. INTERIOR, ARCHWAY BETWEEN LIVING ROOM AND FRONT BEDROOM
9. INTERIOR, WINDOWS AND DOOR TO VERANDA, LOOKING NORTH
10. View of tenement building (ca. 1870) from the north. The tenements were constructed next to the original boarding house.
11. View of tenement building from the southwest.
Back to Claremont, New Hampshire