Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

New Hampshire

>

Claremont

>

Claremont Village Industrial District, Between B, Claremont, Sullivan County, NH



B&W Photos

HB780096

HB780097

HB780098

HB780099

HB780100

HB780101

HB780102

HB780103

HB780104

HB780105

HB780106

HB780107

HB780108

HB780109

HB780110

HB780111

HB780112

HB780113

HB780114

HB780115

HB780116

HB780117

HB780118

HB780119

HB780120

HB780121

HB780122

HB780123

HB780124

HB780125

HB780126

HB780127

HB780128

HB780129

HB780130

HB780131

HB780132

HB780133

HB780134

HB780135

HB780136

HB780137

HB780138

HB780139

HB780140

HB780141

HB780142

HB780143


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
Between B, Claremont, NH

Find maps of Claremont, NH


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NH-1
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1919 initial construction
Significance: Claremont is located in the western portion of New Hampshire, approximately 50 miles north of the Massachusetts line. The town is bounded on the west by the Connecticut River, New Hampshire's boundary with Vermont. Claremont lies some 5 miles east of the Connecticut on a small tributary, the Sugar River. The Claremont River is characterized by rugged terrain, and some of the highest and most scenic mountain ranges on the eastern seaboard...

Subjects
Industrial Towns


Related Names
Upham, J. P.
Ball, Albert
Beckwith, Hira R.
Coffin, Arthur S.
Sullivan Machinery Company
Joy Manufacturing Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. View to the west down the Sugar River from the Broad Street Bridge. Sunapee Mill/Storehouse No. 3 is on the right, and the Monadnock Mills Complex is on the left.
2. Freeman and O'Neill complex is in the right foreground of this photo taken from the roof of the Sugar River Grist Mill looking west along Main Street. This area west of the Main Street Bridge is known as the Lower Village.
3. This wrought iron truss bridge replaced a wooden footbridge at this site. Erected in 1870 by the Mosley Iron Building Works of Boston, Massachusetts, it spans 103 feet and carried employees, materials, and utility lines. The west facade of Mill No. 6, an addition to Mill No. 2 constructed in 1915, is visible on the left.
4. Looking east towards the Broad Street Bridge at Fall No. 2. A dam extended from the rock abutment, visible on the left, to a point just above Monadnock Mill No. 1, the right border in the photo. Water entered a canal on the south side of the dam, an area under the 1 1/2 story wood structure, and then flowed into Mill No. 1 where it powered a breast wheel. The long 3-story building was the Cloth Room Building/Old Bleach House.
5. South elevation, Sunapee Mill/Storehouse No. 3, Monadnock Mills.
6. Looking east up Main Street. Warehouse No. 34, Sullivan Machinery Company, is partially visible behind houses.
7. Looking southwest at the eastern boundary of the Claremont Village Industrial District at the Broad Street Bridge. Sunapee Mill/Storehouse No. 3 is in the center of the photo. The City Hall is marked by the large clock tower.
8. The east end of the Monadnock Mills complex at Broad Street. The Bleach House is on the right, and the Tenement Building is visible behind a former gas station. The buildings on the left face on Tremont Square.
9. Main Street, looking west from the top of the Moody Building. Mill No. 3, Monadnock Mills is in the background on the right and the Sullivan Machinery Co. complex is in the center of the photo where Main Street curves to the left. Mr. Ascutney, Vermont is in the background.
10. Looking west down Main Street. Mill No. 5, Monadnock Mills is in the center of the photo and part of the Sullivan Machinery Co. complex is visible at the end of the street.
11. Mills complex looking east down Water Street. Buildings of the Sullivan Machinery Co. frame this view of the Monadnock.
12. Looking west down Main Street. Sullivan Machinery Co. Machine Shops form the right edge of the street.
13. Looking west down the Sugar River just above dam No. 3 with the Sullivan Machinery Co. Machine and Erecting Shops on the left, and the roof of the foundry complex just visible beyond the trees. From the headgates that still remain on the right, a 7.5' diameter penstock extended 1300' downstream along the north bank of the river to a powerhouse.
14. Dam No. 3 looking east from the roof of the Sullivan Machinery Co. Beyond the trees to the right the Monadnock Mills complex is partially visible.
15. River Street from the cupola of the Sugar River Grist Mill, looking east. Tenements line the left side of the road and have no front yards or sidewalk. Warehouse No. 34, Sullivan Machinery Co., is on the right at the bend in River Street.
16. The north side of Tremont Street looking towards Tremont Square from Broad Street.
17. Freeman and O'Neill complex, manufacturers of architectural millwork, now owned by the Claremont Flock Company. The round brick building was built by Samuel Ide in 1859 for his printing and bookbinding business.
18. Step down tenements on Pearl Street, from the northeast.
19. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative BUILDING OF DAM No. 3, FROM THE NORTH
20. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative BUILDING OF DAM No. 3, LOOKING SOUTH
21. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative BUILDING OF DAM No. 3, LOOKING EAST FROM THE NORTH BANK, SHOWING THE WOODEN FORMWORK FOR THE CONCRETE DAM
22. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative BUILDING OF DAM NO. 3, LOOKING SOUTH
23. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative BUILDING OF DAM No. 3, LOOKING EASTWARDS FROM THE NORTH BANK. CONSTRUCTION OF THE WOODEN FORMWORK USED IN CONSTRUCTING THE DAM IS VISIBLE IN THE FOREGROUND
24. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative VIEW OF THE OLD TIMBER CRIB DAM, LOOKING EAST FROM THE NORTH BANK
25. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative VIEW OF THE NORTH END OF THE OLD TIMBER DAM AT DAM SITE No. 3
26. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative GENERAL VIEW OF THE POND OF DAM No.4. THE OLD TIMBER CRIB DAM No. 3 IS VISIBLE IN THE BACKGROUND
27. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative VIEW OF THE POND OF DAM NO. 5, WITH PORTIONS OF THE COVERED FOOTBRIDGE (ca 1929) AND DAM No.4 (1887-1927) VISIBLE IN BACKGROUND. THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY BOILER ROOM AND ENGINE AND COMPRESSION ROOM (1919) ARE VISIBLE IN THE LEFT FOREGROUND.
28. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative RIVER WALL ON THE NORTH SIDE, JUST WEST (DOWNSTREAM) OF THE COVERED FOOTBRIDGE. THE FIRE PUMP HOUSE (1927) AND BOILER ROOM (1919) OF THE SULLIVAN MACHINERY COMPANY ARE ALSO VISIBLE.
29. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1927, photographer unknown 2 3/8 X 4 inch negative VIEW OF THE DOWNSTREAM SIDE OF DAM No.4, TAKEN FROM BELOW; THE COVERED FOOTBRIDGE. THE BUILDING IN THE BACKGROUND HAS SINCE BEEN DEMOLISHED.
30. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1934, photographer unknown 3 1/4 X 4 5/8 inch negative INTAKE TO THE POWER CANAL AT DAM No. 5. IDE'S 'ROUND BUILDING' IN THE FREEMAN AND O'NEIL COMPLEX IS VISIBLE ON THE LEFT.
31. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire) 1934, photographer unknown 3 1/4 X 4 5/8 inch negative EAST END OF THE TIMBER CRIB DAM AT THE GRIST MILL (right) AND THE SAW MILL (center).
32. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the New Hampshire Water Resources Board, Concord, New Hampshire 2 1/4 X 4 1/4 inch negative
33. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1900, photographer unknown VIEW OF THE MAIN STREET BRIDGE SHOWING PORTIONS OF THE I. D. HALL BUILDING (left), THE FREEMAN & O'NEIL COMPLEX (center) AND THE GRIST MILL (right).
34. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1880, photographer unknown VIEW OF THE MAIN STREET BRIDGE, I. D. HALL BUILDING ON THE LEFT, AND GRIST MILL ON THE RIGHT. A PORTION OF THE FREEMAN & O'NEIL COMPLEX IS VISIBLE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE RIVER BEYOND THE GRIST MILL.
35. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1900, photographer unknown IDE'S ROUND BUILDING (1859), A PART OF THE FREEMAN & O'NEIL COMPLEX.
36. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) 1887, photographer unknown CONSTRUCTION OF THE No. 4 DAM, WITH THE MAYNARD SHOE COMPANY ON THE RIGHT
37. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1890, photographer unknown VIEW OF CLAREMONT LOOKING EAST. CLAREMONT MANUFACTURING COMPANY IS ON THE LEFT, MAYNARD SHOE COMPANY N THE RIGHT
38. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1895, photographer unknown SUGAR RIVER PAPER MILL AND OFFICE
39. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1885, Photographer unknown VIEW OF THE SUGAR RIVER LOOKING WEST. THE MAYNARD SHOE COMPANY IS ON THE LEFT, AND THE CLAREMONT MANUFACTURING COMPANY ON THE RIGHT
40. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) no date, photographer unknown HIGH WATER AND BROAD STREET BRIDGE. SULLIVAN WOOLEN MILL LOOKING EAST (Sunapee Mill, 1843-1846).
41. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) no date, photographer unknown VIEW OF THE BROAD STREET BRIDGE LOOKING EAST. THE MONADNOCK MILLS (1836-1902) COMPLEX IS VISIBLE ON THE LEFT, THE SUNAPEE MILL ON THE RIGHT.
42. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown VIEW TO THE WEST FROM THE BROAD STREET BRIDGE. PART OF THE MONADNOCK MILLS COMPLEX IS VISIBLE ON THE LEFT, THE MOSLEY TRUSS BRIDGE (1870) IN THE CENTER, RIVER WALL TO THE RIGHT OF CENTER, AND THE OLD CANAL ENTRANCE IS VISIBLE ON THE RIGHT.
43. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown GENERAL VIEW OF AN UNIDENTIFIED STREET IN CLAREMONT
44. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) No date, photographer unknown HORSE TEAM HAULING A T-CONNECTION FOR A PENSTOCK.
45. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) no date, photographer unknown VIEW OF A DOUBLE INTERSECTION WARREN DECK TRUSS RAILWAY BRIDGE WITH SUBVERTICALS. THIS BRIDGE MAY BE ADJACENT TO THE CURRENT MAIN STREET HIGHWAY BRIDGE
46. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) ca. 1910, photographer unknown VIEW TO THE WEST FROM THE BROAD STREET BRIDGE, SHOWING THE MONADNOCK MILLS ON THE LEFT AND THE SUNAPEE MILL ON THE RIGHT. PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BETWEEN CONSTRUCTION OF THE MONADNOCK BLEACH HOUSE (1902) AND MILL No. 6 (1915)
47. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the collection of the Claremont Historical Society) photographer unknown, no date INTERIOR OF OFFICE AND EMPLOYEES IN AN UNKNOWN BUILDING
48. Photocopy of a photograph (original print in the Collection of the Claremont Historical Society) photographer unknown, no date INTERIOR VIEW OF AN UNIDENTIFIED OFFICE WITH EMPLOYEES
THIS 103-FOOT SPAN MOSELY WROUGHT-IRON BOWSTRING ARCH-TRUSS BRIDGE ERECTED IN 1870 CARRIED EMPLOYEES AND MATERIALS ALONG WITH STEAM HEAT AND GAS LINES. IT IS VALUABLE AS A RARE SURVIVING EXAMPLE OF THIS TYPE OF BRIDGE AND IS AMONG THE EARLIEST OF ITS TYPE IN AMERICA.


Back to Claremont, New Hampshire