Zapadni Cesko-Bratreske Jednoty Hall Number 53, Fifth Avenue, Niobrara, Knox County, NE
See 60 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Fifth Avenue, Niobrara, NE
Find maps of Niobrara, NE
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NE-34
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-35, FN-36).
Building/structure dates: 1909 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1930 subsequent work
Significance: From 1909 to the late 1970s, the Zapadni Cesko-Bratreske Jednoty (Z.C.B.J.) Hall No. 53 was the social and fraternal center for Czechoslovakan immigrants and their descendants. The hall was also significant for its contribution to the social history of the Slavic people in America. Architecturally, the hall was the finest example of a fraternal lodge of its kind in Nebraska.
Johnson, A. J.
Starkey, J. E.
Darlow, Peter, Field Team
Rastorfer, Darl, Field Team
Amato, Sam, Photographer
Burns, Kathryn A., Historian
Jones, J. Larry, Delineator
Becker, Lisa, Delineator
Benson, Perry, Historian
McCown, Susan, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Sam Amato Photographer October 1977 EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION
2. Sam Amato Photographer October 1977 NORTHEAST ELEVATION
3. Sam Amato Photographer October 1977 FRONT ELEVATION, CLOSER
4. Sam Amato Photographer October 1977 INTERIOR VIEW OF STAGE, LOOKING EAST
5. Sam Amato Photographer October 1977 INTERIOR VIEW OF STAGE, LOOKING WEST
6. Photocopy, FRONT ELEVATION WITH ORIGINAL FENCE, circa 1910. Original photograph at Nebraska State Historical Society.
7. Photocopy, SOUTH ELEVATION WITH ORIGINAL FIRE ESCAPE, circa 1910. Original photograph at Nebraska State Historical Society.
8. Photocopy, SOUTH ELEVATION, post 1914. Original photograph at Nebraska State Historical Society.
9. Photocopy, ORIGINAL STAGE CURTAIN WITH LOCAL BUSINESS ADVERTISEMENTS, date unknown. Original photograph at Nebraska State Historical Society.
10. Photocopy, VIEW OF INTERIOR STAGE WITH ORIGINAL CHAIRS IN FOREGROUND, circa. 1912. Original photograph at Nebraska State Historical Society.
Back to Niobrara, Nebraska