Frederick Opocensky House, Sixth Avenue & Maple Street, Niobrara, Knox County, NE
Photo Caption Pages
Sixth Avenue & Maple Street, Niobrara, NE
Find maps of Niobrara, NE
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NE-30
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-20, FN-21, FN-22).
Building/structure dates: 1910 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 194 demolished
Significance: The Opocensky House is significant for both its architectural merit and associative value. In 1885, Frederick Opocensky, a Bohemian immigrant, moved to Niobrara, opened a general merchandise store and immediately became involved in the social and commercial activities of the community. In 1904, he established the Niobrara Brick and Tile Company which later produced the cement brick and tile used in the construction of his house. It was the use of these bricks and tiles in coordination with its elaborate eclectic design that gave the Opocensky residence its uniqueness. The house was the largest, most pretentious home in the small rural community of Niobrara.
Spoon, B. F.
Jones, Larry, Field Team
Rastorfer, Darl, Field Team
Amato, Sam, Photographer
Burns, Kathryn, Historian
Becker, Lisa, Delineator
Darlow, Peter G., Delineator
Benson, Perry, Historian
McCown, Susan, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Sam Amato, Photographer September 1977 WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION
2. Sam Amato, Photographer September 1977 VIEW OF NORTHWEST ENTRANCE
3. Photocopy of newly built house, ca. 1910. Original negative at Nebraska State Historical Society
4. Photocopy of house, ca. 1930. Original negative at Nebraska State Historical Society
5. Photocopy of house as a rest home, ca. 1945. Original negative at Nebraska State Historical Society.
Back to Niobrara, Nebraska