Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Nebraska

>

Lincoln

>

Lincoln City Hall, 916 "O" Street, Lincoln, Lancaster County, NE



See 60 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB773257

HB773258

HB773259

HB773260

HB773261

HB773262


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
916 "O" Street, Lincoln, NE

Find maps of Lincoln, NE


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS NE-17
Building/structure dates: 1874 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1978 subsequent work
National Register Number: 69000132
Significance: Lincoln's Old City Hall is architecturally significant as a notable product of the "Grant era" and as an unusual fusion of Victorian Gothic and Second Empire elements, typifying in an important measure the manner in which Federal architecture was created in the nineteenth century. Historical significance is derived from the prominent stature given to early Lincoln by the Federal government when it constructed this edifice as a United States Post Office and Courthouse: the completed structure cost about $200,000 -- a large Federal expenditure on a community with an 1875 population of only 7,000. The building is associated with an event that significantly contributed to the history of Nebraska, for between 1879-1906 it housed a U.S. Land Office at which over five million acres of land in the southern part of the state were claimed under the Homestead Act. The building is also rendered historical significance through its having been the first city hall of Lincoln and for housing the municipal government during a 62-year period that witnessed the population triple (43,973 in 1910; 149,518 in 1970). Significance is also derived from the building's association with two prominent 19th-century American architects: Alfred B. Mullett and William A. Potter.

Subjects
Municipal Government
Judicial Proceedings
Homesteading


Related Names
Mullett, Alfred B.
Potter, William A.
Gwyer Quarries
Murphy, David, Photographer
Kidd, Daniel, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF THE SOUTH AND EAST FRONTS,LOOKING NORTHWEST
2. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST TOWARD DOWNTOWN LINCOLN
3. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING EAST TOWARD DOWNTOWN LINCOLN
4. VIEW OF THE EAST FRONT,LOOKING WEST
5. INTERIOR VIEW,MAIN FLOOR,LOOKING NORTHEAST TOWARD STAIR AND ELEVATOR
6. INTERIOR DOOR DETAIL,SECOND-FLOOR


Back to Lincoln, Nebraska