Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Nebraska

>

Bellevue

>

Offutt Air Force Base, Glenn L. Martin-Nebraska Bomber Plant, Building D, Peacekeeper Drive, Bellevue, Sarpy County, NE



Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Offutt Air Force Base, Glenn L. Martin-Nebraska Bomber Plant, Building D, Peacekeeper Drive, Bellevue, Sarpy County, NE

Location
Peacekeeper Drive, Bellevue, NE

Find maps of Bellevue, NE


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER NE-9-R
Building/structure dates: 1941 initial construction
Significance: In 1940, as the United States faced the prospect of its entry into World War II, the War Department authorized four new aircraft assembly plants, including the bomber plant built at Fort Crook (Offutt Airfield) near Bellevue, Nebraska. Built by Glenn L. Martin Company, the Aircraft Manufacturing and Assembly Building (commonly known as Building "D" or Facility 301) is the largest and most significant building within the Glenn L. Martin-Nebraska Bomber Plant, which included seventeen structures and two main runways. The structure is best remembered for the production of heavy bombers, including the B-26C (Martin Marauder) and B-29 (Boeing Superfortress), which were used with effectiveness during World War II. By the end of 1944, the facility was manufacturing more than fifty B-29s per month, including the secretly assembled and specifically equipped bombers Enola Gay and Bock's Car used to deliver and drop the world's first atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan. The aircraft assembly building is also significant for its association with Glenn L. Martin and the aviation company he founded. The Glenn L. Martin Company, renamed Lockheed Martin in 1995 after its merger with Lockheed Aircraft Company, designed the first mechanized conveyor system used to assemble the B-29. Noted modern industrialist architect Albert Kahn designed the enormous utilitarian structure, which measured 900' long and 600' wide when completed in 1941. Building "D" is one of the most important works of engineering and architecture in Nebraska and one of the most historically significant World War II era buildings in the United States.

Subjects
War (World War II)
Aircraft Industry
Military Aircraft


Related Names
Albert Kahn Associated Architects And Engineers
United States Air Force
Glenn L. Martin Company
Lockheed Martin Company
Lockheed Aircraft Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
GENERAL VIEW OF THE MARTIN BOMBER PLANT LOOKING SOUTHWEST FROM "HOSPITAL HILL" SHOWING FROM THE LEFT THE METAL & PAPER SALVAGE BUILDING, AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING, BOILER HOUSE, OIL HOUSE, AND ADMINISTRATION BUILDLING.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF THE WEST FACADE OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING SOUTHWEST SHOWING ROOF MONITORS, NORTH RAIL, DOCK AND BOILER HOUSE.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF THE NORTH FACADE OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING WEST SHOWING THE WALKWAY BRIDGE CONNECTING THE ADMINISTRATION BUILDING WITH THE PERSONNEL BUILDING IN THE BACKGROUND.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF THE WEST FACADE OF THE WING ASSEMBLY ANNEX OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING NORTH SHOWING A ROOF LADDER AND MONITORS.
OBLIQUE VIEW OF THE SOUTH FACADE OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING NORTHEAST SHOWING THE CANOPY HANGER DOORS WITH THE SOUTH SHIPPING DOCK, AND SOUTH DOCK ANNEX TO THE RIGHT.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AT THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL LOOKING WEST FROM COLUMN LINE X-27 SHOWING STEEL TRUSSES, HOIST RAILS, LIGHT FIXTURES, AND ROOF MONITORS ABOVE.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AT THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL LOOKING NORTH FROM COLUMN LINE W-26 SHOWING STEEL TRUSSES, HOIST RAILS, LIGHT FIXTURES, AND ROOF MONITORS ABOVE.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AT THE WEST ANNEX LOOKING NORTH FROM COLUMN LINE AA-45 SHOWING SECURITY BALCONY TO THE RIGHT.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AT THE NORTH RECEIVING DOCK FROM COLUMN LINE A-20 SHOWING ROOF MONITOR.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW A THE LOWER MANUFACTURING LEVEL LOOKING SOUTHEAST FROM COLUMN LINE F-11 SHOWING CONFIGURATION OF CONCRETE COLUMNS, FLUORESCENT LIGHT FIXTURES, AND WOOD BLOCK FLOORING.
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AT THE LOWER MANUFACTURING LEVEL LOOKING WEST FROM COLUMN LINE W-26 WITH A LARGER CONCRETE COLUMN IN THE FOREGROUND, WHICH SUPPORTS A STEEL COLUMN ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL ABOVE, SHOWING MECHANICAL SUPPLY DUCT ENTERING THE CAPITAL.
DETAIL VIEW ON THE LOWER MANUFACTURING LEVEL LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM COLUMN LINE B-17 SHOWING THE PRESS PIT OPEN TO THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL ABOVE WITH STEEL INDUSTRIAL SASH WINDOWS ON THE NORTH WALL.
DETAIL VIEW ON THE LOWER MANUFACTURING LEVEL LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM COLUMN LINE W-24 SHOWING THE STAIRS, TOILET ROOMS AND LOCATION OF FORMER WASH BASINS AND DRINKING FOUNTAINS.
CLOSE-UP VIEW ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL SHOWING STAIR HANDRAIL FROM COLUMN LINE W-22.
DETAIL VIEW ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL OF ELEVATOR SHOWING THE DOUBLED COLUMN FOR THE BUILDING EXPANSION JOINT AT COLUMN LINE AA-18.
DETAIL VIEW ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL OF THE OFFSET STEEL COLUMN AND BEAM AT COLUMN N-29 INSERTED TO CREATE A LARGER BAY FOR B-29 BOMBER PRODUCTION.
CLOSE-UP VIEW ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL SHOWING SUPPLY AIR GRILLE AT BASE OF STEEL COLUMN W-25.
DETAIL VIEW ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL OF A LADDER TO THE CATWALK AT COLUMN LINE AA-28 SHOWING VERTICAL MECHANICAL DUCT, RETURN AIR FLOOR GRILLE, STEEL INDUSTRIAL SASH WINDOWS AND CROSS BRACING OF SOUTH WALL.
DETAIL VIEW ABOVE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL SHOWING STEEL ROOF TRUSSES, ROOF MONITOR AND CATWALK AT COLUMN LINE U-28.
DETAIL VIEW ABOVE THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL SHOWING HOIST AT COLUMN LINE U-6 USED FOR LIFTING WING COMPONENTS FROM THE WING ASSEMBLY ANNEX TO THE B-29 PRODUCTION LINE.
AERIAL VIEW OF THE MARTIN BOMBER PLANT LOOKING SOUTHEAST WITH FORT CROOK AT THE RIGHT.Wing Historian's Office (WHO), ca. 1945
GENERAL VIEW OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING SOUTH FROM "HOSPITAL HILL" SHOWING THE CONCRETE CONSTRUCTION OF THE LOWER MANUFACTURING LEVEL WITH RAIL TRACKS IN THE FOREGROUND AND FORT CROOK IN THE BACKGROUND.Peter Kiewit Sons, Inc. (PKS), 1941.
GENERAL VIEW OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING NORTHWEST SHOWING THE ERECTION OF STEEL TRUSSES ON THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL.PKS, 1941
GENERAL VIEW OF THE AIRCRAFT MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY BUILDING LOOKING NORTHEAST FROM RUNWAY #1 SHOWING ORIGINAL WEST FACADE WITH CANOPY HANGER DOORS AND SOUTH SHIPPING DOCK.PKS, 1941
GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW OF THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL LOOKING SOUTHEAST AT ABOUT COLUMN LINE G-20 SHOWING STEEL TRUSS CONFIGURATION AND ROOF MONITORS.PKS, 1941
DETAIL VIEW OF THE MAIN ASSEMBLY LEVEL LOOKING NORTHEAST AT THE B-26 FINAL PRODUCTION LINE SHOWING THE INTEGRITY OF THE "BOMB-PROOF" BUILDING AFTER THE CRASH OF A B-25 ON SEPTEMBER 22, 1943.WHO, 1943
GENERAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST OF THE ROLL OUT OF THE LAST B-26C MARAUDER "THE OMAHA" ON APRIL 4, 1944.WHO, 1944
GENERAL VIEW OF THE PRODUCTION LINE BEING CONVERTED FROM B-26 TO B-29 PRODUCTION SHOWING THE LINK-BELT CONVEYOR SYSTEM AND ENGINE NACELLES READY FOR ASSEMBLY.WHO, 1944
DETAIL VIEW OF THE INITIAL PRODUCTION LINE OF THE FIRST B-29 SHOWING THE SPLICING OF THE WINGS AND FUSELAGE.WHO, 1944
GENERAL VIEW OF THE FINAL PRODUCTION LINE OF THE FIRST B-29 SHOWING THE LINK-BELT CONVEYOR SYSTEM AND WOOD BLOCK FLOORING.WHO, 1944
GENERAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST OF THE ROLL OUT OF THE FIRST B-29 SUPERFORTRESS ON MAY 24, 1944, SHOWING THE NOSE RAISED TO ALLOW THE TAIL TO PASS UNDER THE CANOPY DOORS.WHO, 1944


Back to Bellevue, Nebraska