Grand Forks City Hall, 404 Second Avenue North, Grand Forks, Grand Forks County, ND
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
404 Second Avenue North, Grand Forks, ND
Find maps of Grand Forks, ND
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ND-21
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
Significance: The City Hall is one of four surviving Classical Revival buildings constructed in Grand Forks, the County seat of Grand Forks County, between 1900-1920. In style and material, the City Hall conforms to Central High School (1917) directly across Second Avenue North which faces Fourth Street, and to the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (Federal Building) across from Central High School facing Fourth Street North, which was designed by James Knox Taylor in 1906. These three buildings represent the "City Beautiful" movement in architecture and form a visual focus to the public area of the Central Business District reflecting the City's regional importance to a vast agricultural hinterland in the Red River Valley at the turn of the century.
City & Town Halls
Ross, John W.
Northern Construction & Engineering Company
Nikle, Bruce, Photographer
Roberts, Dr. Norene A., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Main and side elevations 4x5 enlargement from 21/4x21/4 negative
Back to Grand Forks, North Dakota