Fort Buford, Old Headquarters Site, Fort Buford, Williams County, ND
Old Headquarters Site, Fort Buford, ND
Find maps of Fort Buford, ND
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ND-4
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1895 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1916 subsequent work
Significance: This was a very important place in the history of the West, not only as a place where prisoners from the Confederate Army were put on duty fighting Indians, but in later years the place where Sitting Bull, Chief Gall, and other leaders finally surrendered. Since 1895 the Regimental Headquarters has been used from time to time as a private residence, and again as an outing home for Boy Scouts. The kitchen on the east side appears to have been added about 1916 or '20.
Indians Of North America
Forts & Fortifications
Woodard, H. C., Delineator
Bryan, John A., Delineator
Mattison, Ray H., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fort Buford, North Dakota