Wilmington Historic District, Jowaha Building, 2 South Water Street, Wilmington, New Hanover County, NC
See 11 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
2 South Water Street, Wilmington, NC
Find maps of Wilmington, NC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NC-325-A
Significance: The Jowaha Building was constructed for Captain John W. Harper; its name combines the first letters of his name. Purchased in 1911 by B.O. and R.R. Stone, a wholesale grocery company, the building was occupied by various grocers, ships chandlers, and an iron works. The building remained in possession of the Stone Family from 1911 to the present. O.E. Durant, a wholesale grocer and ship's chandler occupied the building from 1918 to 1972, evolving into one of the area's leading ship chandelling operations.
Stores & Shops
Harper, Capt. John W.
Stone, B. O.
Stone, R. R.
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Gunter, Carol, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR, JOWAHA BUILDING LOOKING EAST FROM RIVER
2. EXTERIOR, NORTH SIDE AND EAST FRONT
3. EXTERIOR, SOUTH SIDE AND EAST FRONT
Back to Wilmington, North Carolina