Hillsborough Presbyterian Church, Churton & West Tryon Streets, Hillsborough, Orange County, NC
See 14 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Churton & West Tryon Streets, Hillsborough, NC
Find maps of Hillsborough, NC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NC-238
Building/structure dates: 1816 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1884 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1963 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1928 subsequent work
Significance: The oldest Presbyterian church building in North Carolina in which services have continuously held. Site is one of the most historic plots of ground in North Carolina. Present brick church stands on or nearly on the site of a pre-Revolutionary Church of England structure used to house historic Third Provincial Congresses (1775), three General Assemblies (1178,1782,1783), and the momentous Cosntitutional Convention (1788), and Science Hall (the school in which William Hopper was interested). Cemetery filled with tombs of some of North Carolina's most illustrious dead: Archibald Murphy, Gov. Wm A. Graham, William Hooper, James Hogg, Chief Justice Frederick Nash, etc.
Church Of England
Graham, William A.
Nash, Judge. Frederick
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR, WEST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE
2. EXTERIOR, WEST FRONT ENTRANCE, CLOSE-UP
3. INTERIOR, GENERAL VIEW LOOKING TOWARD PULPIT
Back to Hillsborough, North Carolina