Ayr Mount, Saint Mary's Road, Hillsborough, Orange County, NC
See 15 maps of this location
Saint Mary's Road, Hillsborough, NC
Find maps of Hillsborough, NC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS NC-220
Building/structure dates: 1790 initial construction
Significance: Architecturally this splendid brick manor house is the finest house in the Hillsborough area and one of the finest early houses in North Carolina. Its solid brick construction, superlative woodwork, and lavish floor plan make it notable. There have been no changes at Ayr Mount, and the Kirklands still live there (1964) over 160 years after William Kirkland built the house.
Kirkland, Samuel S.
Ruffin, Judge. Thomas
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Greyer, Peyton C., Delineator
Funderburk, Joel M., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. MAIN (NORTH) ELEVATION
2. MAIN (NORTH) AND WEST ELEVATIONS
3. REAR (SOUTH) AND EAST ELEVATIONS
4. FIRST FLOOR, GENERAL VIEW OF STAIRHALL
5. FIRST FLOOR, STAIRHALL, VIEW OF STAIRCASE AND PANELLING
6. FIRST FLOOR, STAIRHALL, STAIRCASE, DETAIL OF PANELING, RAIL AND BALUSTERS
7. STAIRHALL, DETAIL OF SOUTH WALL, SHOWING THICKNESS OF WALL AND RAILING WITH WOODEN PINS
8. FIRST FLOOR, CENTER ROOM, VIEW TOWARD FIREPLACE AND OVERMANTEL
9. FIRST FLOOR, EAST ROOM
Back to Hillsborough, North Carolina