Falls of the Neuse Manufacturing Plant, West bank of Neuse River at State Route 2000, Falls, Wake County, NC
Photo Caption Pages
West bank of Neuse River at State Route 2000, Falls, NC
Find maps of Falls, NC
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NC-18
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Significance: The Falls of the Neuse Mill complex includes a massive 3-story granite building and a 1-story granite secondary building evidently built in 1854-1855 as the paper mill of the Manteo Manufacturing Company, organized by James F. Jordan. Secondary buildings survive from later stages of operation as paper and textile mills. Powered by water held in a 400-foot wide stone dam and conveyed by a millrace, the complex is strategically located at the natural falls of the Neuse River. The chief period of significance of the mill was its 1855-1896 operation as a paper mill. The mill was described in this era as the only significant producer of paper in eastern North Carolina and one of the largest in the state. Producing rag paper of high quality, the mill supplied state government and most eastern North Carolina printers.
Manteo Manufacturing Company
Jordan, James F.
Fowle, Daniel G.
Poole, William R.
Forest Manufacturing Company
Allegre, William B.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. North elevation of main manufacturing plant.
2. West elevation of main manufacturing plant.
3. SW corner of main manufacturing plant.
4. Looking north, out of main gate, office to right.
5. Looking east, south elevation of main manufacturing plant visible, part of tail race also visible.
6. Looking south, headrace visible to right.
7. Looking south, office to left.
8. View of office.
Back to Falls, North Carolina