Oconaluftee Bridge, Spanning Oconaluftee River, Cherokee, Swain County, NC
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Oconaluftee River, Cherokee, NC
Find maps of Cherokee, NC
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER NC-40
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-11).
Building/structure dates: 1921 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1976
Significance: This three-span reinforced concrete arch bridge is significant as an engineering work of this century. It is one among more than 20 remaining multiple span bridges constructed by Daniel Luten or one of his companies in Tennessee, North Carolina, or Georgia.
Luten Bridge Company
Brown, Lenard E., Historian
Qually, Paul, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF SOUTH (DOWNSTREAM) ELEVATION
2. VIEW OF NORTH (UPSTREAM) ELEVATION, SHOWING WEST AND CENTER ARCHES
3. VIEW OF NORTH (UPSTREAM) ELEVATION
4. VIEW OF NORTH (UPSTREAM) ELEVATION, SHOWING WESTERN ARCH
5. VIEW OF SOUTH (DOWNSTREAM) ELEVATION, SHOWING CENTER AND EAST ARCHES
Back to Cherokee, North Carolina