Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Montana

>

White Sulphur Springs

>

Fort Logan, Blockhouse, White Sulphur Springs, Meagher County, MT



B&W Photos

HB743766
Historic American Buildings Survey John N

HB743767
Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society Of Montana, Copy Of Early Photo West Elevation

HB743768
Historic American Buildings Survey John N

HB743769
Historic American Buildings Survey John N

HB743770
Historic American Buildings Survey John N

HB743771
Historic American Buildings Survey John N


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Blockhouse, White Sulphur Springs, MT

Find maps of White Sulphur Springs, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-19
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-18).
Building/structure dates: 1869 initial construction
Significance: Built in 1869-1870 as part of a military post established to protect the gold mining camps in the vicinity and the Fort Benton trade route. Fort Benton was the head of navigation on the Missouri River and supplies were shipped from there to Fort Ellis, Fort Shaw and other forts as well as to the many mining camps throughout the territory. The fort was originally named Camp Baker. The name was changed in 1877 in memory of a Captain Logan, who had served here and was killed at the Big Hole Battle engagement with Chief Joseph. The fort was active until 1880 with troops being sent from here as reinforcements elsewhere in the territory. The unusually designed log blockhouse with its square second floor set at 45 degree angle to the likewise square plan of the first floor, presents an eight-sided defensive structure. The building has been moved from its original location to about the center of the parade grounds, set on a concrete platform and restored in 1962.

Subjects
Military Art & Science
"Mission 66" Program
Moving Of Structures


Related Names
Blackburn, U. James, Field Team
Sobek, Durward K., Field Team
Oyama, Jack, Field Team
Shanahan, Dick, Delineator
Goldy, Charles B., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 SOUTH ELEVATION
2. Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society of Montana, Copy of Early Photo WEST ELEVATION
3. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 LOG CONSTRUCTION DETAIL (Second Story)
4. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 HAND- WROUGHT IRON HOOK DETAIL (Front Door)
5. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer August 1965 HAND- WROUGHT IRON HOOK DETAIL
6. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 GUN PLACEMENT HOLE DETAIL


Back to White Sulphur Springs, Montana