Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Montana

>

Stevensville

>

St. Mary's Mission (Roman Catholic), Stevensville, Ravalli County, MT



B&W Photos

HB743937

HB743938

HB743939

HB743940

HB743941

HB743942

HB743943

HB743944

HB743945

HB743946

HB743947

HB743948


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Stevensville, MT

Find maps of Stevensville, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-10
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-10).
Building/structure dates: 1866 initial construction
Significance: The first Catholic mission in the northwest was founded by Father Jean de Smet for the Salish (Indians) in 1841. The mission was abandoned in 1850 when the land improvements were sold to John Owen who built a trading fort nearby. In 1866 the Jesuits reactivated the mission. Father Anthony Ravalli, designer of the famed Cataldo Mission, returned at that time to find St. Mary's Mission in ruins. Under his direction, utilizing the logs from the early church, the present log church was built. The center section of the building was the first part erected by Father Ravalli who also built the hand carved alter, choir rail, etc. in the church. Living quarters for Father Ravalli extended the building behind the alter area. The front portion of the church and the steeple were added at a later date when the white man attended services here. Father Ravalli remained at St. Mary's Mission until it was closed in 1891. Today the restored structure serves as a chapel. In 1954 a new and less attractive church was erected nearby.

Subjects
"Mission 66" Program
Indians Of North America
Catholic Churches


Related Names
Ravalli, Fr. Anthony
De Smet, Fr. Jean
Blackburn, U. James, Field Team
Sobek, Durward K., Delineator
Oyama, Jack, Delineator
Shanahan, Dick, Delineator
Goldy, Charles B., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society of Montana August 1941 SOUTHEAST CORNER
2. Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society of Montana, Photo Copy: 1965 NORTH and EAST ELEVATIONS
3. Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society of Montana, Photo Copy: 1965 SKETCH OF FIRST MISSION (The Rev. N. Point)
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 EAST ELEVATION (Front)
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 WEST and SOUTH ELEVATIONS
6. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 CORNER CONSTRUCTION DETAIL
7. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 WINDOW and LOG DETAIL
8. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 FRONT DOOR HANDLE DETAIL
9. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 INTERIOR - TOWARD BALCONY
10. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 INTERIOR - TOWARD ALTAR
11. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer June 1965 ALTAR and ALTAR RAIL DETAIL
12. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer June 1965 STATUE NICHE and WALL DETAIL


Back to Stevensville, Montana