Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Montana

>

Stevensville

>

Fort Owen, U.S. Route 93, Stevensville, Ravalli County, MT



B&W Photos

HB743902

HB743903

HB743904

HB743905

HB743906

HB743907

HB743908

HB743909


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
U.S. Route 93, Stevensville, MT

Find maps of Stevensville, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-12
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-12).
Building/structure dates: 1857 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1930 subsequent work
Significance: St. Mary's Mission, founded in 1841 by Father Jean de Smet, owned the land upon which the ruins of Fort Owen are located. The Mission was abandoned by the Jesuits in 1850 and the land sold to John Owen for the sum of $250. The bill of sale, signed by Father Giorde, was dated Nov. 5, 1850. Fort Owen became a trading establishment named after its owner and never served as an official military post. A small palisaded fort was constructed of adobe bricks. Work in earnest did not begin before 1857. The fort was built a few hundred yards east of the mission grounds on higher land. The adobe bricks were molded in wooden boxes, sun dried, and hauled to the fort site from the adjoining field. The walls of the fort were of adobe. Bastions were erected on the southeast and southwest corners of the fort protecting the main south gate. Little remains today of the fort. Only a small part of the east wall remains where the east barracks were reconstructed in the 1930's.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
"Mission 66" Program
Adobe Buildings


Related Names
Owen, John
Blackburn, U. James, Field Team
Sobek, Durward K., Field Team
Oyama, Jack, Field Team
Shanahan, Dick, Delineator
Goldy, Charles B., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHass, Jr., Photographer July 1965 MODEL OF THE FORT
2. Historic American Buildings Survey The Historical Society of Montana, Photo Copy: 1965 OLD FORT COURTYARD
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 DRAWING OF THE RECONSTRUCTED FORT
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 EAST BARRACKS (Southwest Corner)
5. Historic American Buildings Survey John N. DeHaas, Jr., Photographer July 1965 EAST WALL ORIGINAL ADOBE BLOCK DETAIL
6. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 EAST BARRACKS (Northwest Corner)
7. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 EAST BARRACKS (West Elevation)
8. Historic American Buildings Survey Al Huntsman, Photographer July 1965 FIREPLACE DETAIL


Back to Stevensville, Montana