Rocky Boy's Agency Flour Mill, Rocky Boy, Hill County, MT
Photo Caption Pages
Rocky Boy, MT
Find maps of Rocky Boy, MT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MT-65
Building/structure dates: 1931 initial construction
Significance: It is significant as the only surviving building on the reservation representing the Federal Government's first substantial effort to move the Rocky Boy's Indians toward greater self-sufficiency. From the time the Rocky Boy's reservation was established in 1915 until the late 1920s, the BIA budgeted only enough for the Indians on the reservation to barely subsist. In the late 1920s, the BIA begun budgeting for substantial programs to train the Indians in agriculture and industry and funds for buildings to accompany those programs. Although a few houses for BIA employees at the Agency survive from that period, the flour mill is the only existing building directly associated with one of those BIA programs.
Bureau Of Indian Affairs
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW SHOWING FLOUR MILL (TWO-STORY BUILDING WITH GABLE ROOF JUST RIGHT OF CENTER), IN CONTEXT OF ROCKY BOY'S AGENCY, WITH MAIN AGENCY OFFICES IN FOREGROUND AND AGENCY HOUSING IN THE BACKGROUND TO LEFT, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
2. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SHOWING BASEMENT GARAGE DOORS ALONG EAST SIDE AND LOADING DOCK AT SOUTH END, LOOKING NORTHWEST
3. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SOUTH END, LOOKING NORTH
4. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, EAST SIDE, LOOKING WEST
5. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SHOWING GABLE CANOPY OVER PLATFORM AT NORTH END OF WEST SIDE, WHERE THE SCALE IS LOCATED, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
6. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SHOWING LOADING DOCK AT SOUTH END AND GABLED CANOPY AT NORTH END OF WEST SIDE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
7. VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SHOWING NORTH END AND BASEMENT GARAGE DOORS ON EAST SIDE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
8. INTERIOR VIEW OF FLOUR MILL, SECOND STORY, LOOKING NORTH
9. VIEW SHOWING PEARL WHITFORD (LEFT) AND ARTHUR RAINING BIRD (RIGHT) HOLDING A FRAMED FLOUR SACK USED BY THE ROCKY BOY'S AGENCY FLOUR MILL. THE SACK SHOWS AN IMAGE OF ROCK BOY, LEADER OF THE CHIPPEWA AND CREE INDIANS IN MONTANA AT THE TIME ROCK BOY'S RESERVATION WAS CREATED BY CONGRESS (PHOTO WAS TAKEN BEHIND THE AGENCY'S SCHOOL).
Back to Rocky Boy, Montana