Second Masonic Temple, Broadway & Jackson Streets, Helena, Lewis and Clark County, MT
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
Broadway & Jackson Streets, Helena, MT
Find maps of Helena, MT
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MT-34
Building/structure dates: 1884 initial construction
Significance: Gold was discovered in Last Chance Gulch in the summer of 1864, and the news caused a stampede of hopeful miners to the area. Within a few months a citizen's committee met to lay out streets, elect town commissioners and name the settlement. Last Chance Gulch became "Helena." The Masons of the town were first gathered together in March, 1865, for the funeral of a man who had requested Masonic rites. They soon met again and requested a dispensation to work which was granted in July, 1865. The lodge was organized in August, and regular meetings were scheduled. In November, 1865, Helena City Lodge No. 10, A.F. & A.M. received its charter. They occupied rented quarters until the next year when they bought and completed a building on Broadway which became known as Masonic Hall. Many of the men prominent in the development and early history of the Montana Territory were Masons, and many served in various offices of the local Masonic bodies. In 1872, work was started on a new Masonic Temple, the hall having been outgrown by the numerous Masonic organizations then active in Helena. This first Masonic Temple served until 1884, when there was again need for expansion. The architectural firm of T.F. Mathias and Fred Heinlein was commissioned to design the second Masonic Temple. It is a three story, brick buildings with stone trim in the prevalent Renaissance style. At the time it was finished, the building was the pride of the entire city and was hailed as a fine mark of local craftsmanship and materials.
Mathias, T. F.
Hahn & Wirth
Evans, L. F.
DeHaas, John, Historian
Silverman, Eleni, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Photocopy of an early etching (Original in collection of the Historical Society of Montana) BROADWAY AND JACKSON ELEVATIONS
Back to Helena, Montana