Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Montana > Helena > Lewis & Clark County Courthouse, Broadway, Helena, Lewis and Clark County, MT



B&W Photos
North And East Elevation
HB743418
North And East Elevation
South Elevation
HB743419
South Elevation
Photocopy Of Photograph (original In Collection Of The Historical Society Of Montana) View Of The Old And New Lewis And Clark County Courthouse
HB743420
Photocopy Of Photograph (original In Collection Of The Historical Society Of Montana) View Of The Old And New Lewis And Clark County Courthouse


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Broadway, Helena, MT

Find maps of Helena, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-27
Building/structure dates: 1885 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1935 subsequent work
Significance: The impressive three story stone courthouse was built in 1885-87. It was situated on the brow of a hill, and the tall clock tower (now removed) was visible throughout the city of Helena. In addition to the county offices, the building housed the offices of the Territorial Governor, the hall in which the Territorial Legislature convened, and the historical and Territorial Law libraries. News of the granting of statehood to the territory was received here in 1889, and the building served as the State Capitol until the turn of the century, when the present Montana Capitol Building was built. The Norman Romanesque building was designed by the architectural firm of Hodgson, Wallingford and Stem of St. Paul, Minn. It was considered one of the largest and finest of its kind at the time of its opening. The building has withstood several earthquakes in the area, although the clock tower and a heavy stone cornice were removed after the devastating earthquakes of 1935.

Subjects
Judicial Proceedings
Stone Buildings (granite)
Courthouses


Related Names
Hodgson, Wallingford, & Stem Of St. Paul, Minn.
Ryan, James
Burton, John
Palmer, Maj. J. J.
Welter, T. W.
Huntsman, Al, Photographer
DeHaas, John N., Historian
Silverman, Eleni, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH AND EAST ELEVATION
2. SOUTH ELEVATION
3. Photocopy of photograph (Original in collection of the Historical Society of Montana) VIEW OF THE OLD AND NEW LEWIS AND CLARK COUNTY COURTHOUSE


Back to Helena, Montana