Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Montana > Hamilton > Rocky Mountain Laboratories, Building No. 5, 903 South Fourth Street, south rear, Hamilton, Ravalli County, MT



B&W Photos
BWPhotos 345324
HB750436
BWPhotos 345324
BWPhotos 345325
HB750437
BWPhotos 345325
BWPhotos 345326
HB750438
BWPhotos 345326
BWPhotos 345327
HB750439
BWPhotos 345327
BWPhotos 345328
HB750440
BWPhotos 345328
BWPhotos 345329
HB750441
BWPhotos 345329
BWPhotos 345330
HB750442
BWPhotos 345330
BWPhotos 345331
HB750443
BWPhotos 345331
BWPhotos 345332
HB750444
BWPhotos 345332
BWPhotos 345333
HB750445
BWPhotos 345333
BWPhotos 345334
HB750446
BWPhotos 345334
BWPhotos 345335
HB750447
BWPhotos 345335
BWPhotos 345336
HB750448
BWPhotos 345336


Item Title
BWPhotos 345336

Location
south rear, Hamilton, MT

Find maps of Hamilton, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-101-E
Building/structure dates: 1938 initial construction
Significance: The Rocky Mountain Laboratories possess national significance due to the pioneering research conducted at these laboratories from 1921-1945 toward the development of vaccines for insect-borne diseases. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever occurred frequently among the residents of the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. The facility was the primary site for research into the cause of the fever and many prominent members of the scientific community have worked at the laboratories. The period of historic significance for the site extends to the end of World War II as the Rocky Mountain Laboratories played a critical role in supplying vaccines to troops for the duration of the war. The buildings are of a high quality for a small community such as Hamilton, Montana. The majority of the buildings were constructed by the Office of the Supervising Architect, Department of the Treasury under the direction of Louis A. Simon, a long time architect for the Treasury Department. The Laboratory, which sits at the edge of this small town, offered employment to local individuals seeking work in the 1930's during the Depression. For all of the above reasons, the Rocky Mountain Laboratories Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Building Five is a contributor to the Historic District.

Subjects
Medicine
War (World War II)
Brick Buildings


Related Names
National Institutes Of Health
Simon, Louis A.
Judd, Bruce D., Photographer
Ash, John, Photographer
Evans, Robert, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Hamilton, Montana