Hamilton Main Post Office, 340 Main Street, Hamilton, Ravalli County, MT
See 15 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
340 Main Street, Hamilton, MT
Find maps of Hamilton, MT
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MT-84
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
Significance: The federally owned Hamilton Main Post Office serves as a "contributing" resource within the Hamilton Commercial Historic District. This building is representative of a variety of historical themes, including the federally funded building program of the Depression era, the standardization of architectural plans by the Treasury Department, and, on the local level, the growth and development of the Hamilton commercial district.
O'Connell, Rep. Jerry J.
Bell, H. O.
Sheldon, Benjamin H.
McDonald, James R., Photographer
Butterfield, Elizabeth, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Looking northeast at main street with the post office in the foreground.
2. Looking north at the front facade.
3. Looking north at the main entrance.
4. Looking northeast at the post office.
5. Looking northeast at the front facade; proposed location of handicap ramp.
6. Looking east at a side elevation.
7. Looking southeast at post office.
8. Looking southwest at the loading dock area.
9. Looking northwest at the post office.
10. Looking west at the main entrance vestibule and lobby.
11. Looking west at the postmaster office and painting above the lobby.
12. Looking east at the mailbox area of the lobby.
13. Looking southeast at the mailroom work area.
Back to Hamilton, Montana