Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Montana

>

Bozeman

>

Montana State University, Montana Hall, West Garfield Street, Bozeman, Gallatin County, MT



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB744020

HB744021


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Montana State University, Montana Hall, West Garfield Street, Bozeman, Gallatin County, MT

Location
West Garfield Street, Bozeman, MT

Find maps of Bozeman, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-25
Building/structure dates: 1896 initial construction
Significance: The early years of the 1890's were full of excitement for the young state of Montana and the various cities that were vigorously campaigning for the site of its capitol. Bozeman lost its bid to become the capitol city, but the land it had set aside for this purpose became the campus of the first of the state colleges to open in the state. The Legislative assembly of 1893 allocated the sites of the various branches of the educational and custodial systems of Montana, and established in Bozeman the Agricultural College of the State of Montana and as a companion for it, the Agricultural Experiment Station. The bill was signed by Gov. Rickards on Feb. 16, 1893. The College opened in rented and donated quarters in town on April 17, 1893, with eight students enrolled. It was not until 1895 that the Legislature approved funds for enough permanent buildings to house the College on its own campus. John C. Paulsen, State Architect, prepared plans for a Main Hall (now Montana Hall), a Chemistry Building, a Drill Hall, Work Shops and a Veterinary Building in Old English style. The cornerstone for Main Hall was laid on October 21, 1896, and the building was occupied in April, 1898. When completed it contained an assembly room for 600, the library, and quarters for the departments of domestic science, art, business, English, mathematics, modern languages and mechanical drawing. Today, with its name changed from Main Hall to Montana Hall, the building houses the University administrative offices and some classrooms. A two-story vault has been added to the southwest corner and the cupola was removed following the 1927 earthquake, but the original character of the building remains.

Subjects
Education
Brick Buildings
Colleges & Universities


Related Names
Paulsen, John C.
Suiter, Charles
Garsley, G. H.
DeHaas, John N., Photographer
DeHaas, John N., Historian
Silverman, Eleni, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH ELEVATION
2. Photocopy of photograph (Original in collection of Historical Society of Montana) NORTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS


Back to Bozeman, Montana