Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Montana

>

Anaconda

>

Anaconda Historic District, Mahie Block, 124 East Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies


Item Title


Location
124 East Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-Q
Building/structure dates: 1883 initial construction
Significance: This two-story brick structure has an art deco era steel facade over plate glass storefront windows, and stucco side and rear exterior walls. The building today is a dramatically altered version of the Mahie Block, originally built in 1883. The Mahie Block was one of the first commercial brick structures erected in Anaconda. In 1890, a dry goods and clothing store were located in the front of the building on the first floor. To the rear was located a large photographic gallery with a lodge hall on the second floor above. An extant photograph, c. 1890, depicting this structure's original ornate appearance, with eleven foot second story windows and ornamental cast-iron columns, is maintained by Agnes Peterson, proprietor of Peterson's Home Decorating. The first outlet for the Copper City Commercial Company, incorporated January 12, 1892 by D.J. Hennessy, Joe Peters (manager) and D.F. Hallahan, was located here. By 1896 the Copper City Commercial Company was acquired by the Anaconda Company and relocated to the S.W. corner of Main Street and Commercial Avenue. The Mahie Block was subsequently occupied by a notions store and a drug store, followed by Hasley Plumbing and in 1940 by Phillips Sheet Metal Works. Since 1976 the building has been occupied by Peterson's paint and glass store and by M.L. Devon, Dentist.

Subjects
Commerce
Brick Buildings
Commercial Facilities


Related Names
Evans, E. X.
Copper City Commercial Company
Anaconda Company
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW OF THE MAHIE BLOCK. THE BUILDING HAS BEEN DRAMATICALLY ALTERED SINCE ITS CONSTRUCTION IN 1883
2. EAST COMMERCIAL AVENUE FACADE OF THE MAHIE BLOCK SHOWING THE TWENTIETH CENTURY ALTERATIONS
EAST COMMERCIAL AVENUE FACADE OF THE MAHIE BLOCK SHOWING THE TWENTIETH CENTURY ALTERATIONS.


Back to Anaconda, Montana