Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Montana > Anaconda > Anaconda Historic District, Electric Light Building, 101-103 Main Street, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



B&W Photos
View To The South On Main Street With The Electric Light Building On The Left
HB745991
View To The South On Main Street With The Electric Light Building On The Left


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
101-103 Main Street, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-D
Building/structure dates: 1895 initial construction
Significance: This two-story brick office building has cast-iron storefronts on both the Main Street and Commercial Avenue facades. A corbelled brick cornice also continues around from the west to the north face of the building. The building has an angled entrance at the corner. Some cast-iron columns remain at the first floor level, as does the cast-iron frieze they support. In 1896, this building was known as the Montana Dressed Meat Company Block. It provided space for a meat market and office at 101 Main, and a City Drug Company at 103 Main. In 1899, these businesses and two second floor physicians offices were located here. The building was purchased by the Anaconda Company before 1910, serving as the company headquarters for it's Electric Light and Railway Department, Water Department, Pay Office and Medical Services. A string of exterior electric light bulb sockets still exists along the upper roof line, dating from the years when Anaconda's Electric Light and Railway Department conducted business here. This structure is still referred to colloquially as the "Electric Light Building." The building is now owned by Deer Lodge County. It's offices are used by the Deer Lodge County Welfare Department, the Community Development Department, the Tri-County Environmental Health Department, and the National Ironworkers and Employers Training Program.

Subjects
Business Enterprises
Medicine
Meat Industry


Related Names
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW TO THE SOUTH ON MAIN STREET WITH THE ELECTRIC LIGHT BUILDING ON THE LEFT


Back to Anaconda, Montana