Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Montana

>

Anaconda

>

Anaconda Historic District, Durston Building, Main Street & East Park Avenue, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Main Street & East Park Avenue, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-M
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1902 subsequent work
Significance: This stately three-story brick building was erected by J.H. Durston, prominent editor of the Anaconda Standard. The eastern annex, known as the "Baby Durston," was added in 1902. The storefronts on both East Park Avenue and Main Street retain some original cast iron columns, although much of the street level facades have been altered. Following completion, the Durston Block offered prestigious second floor office space to numerous professionals, including architects, lawyers, physicians, dentists and collection agents. Furnished rooms were also rented on the third story. The first floor contained several retail establishments, including a dry goods and clothing store, in addition to a cigar, candy, and news store. Space at 202 Main Street was also leased to the U.S. Post Office beginning in 1898. Today this building houses a barber hop on East Park Avenue and a retail store on Main Street. The second floor space is unoccupied. J.H. Durston, a learned philologist and former professor of Syracuse University, arrived in Montana in 1887. At the request of Marcus Daly, manager of the Anaconda Copper Mining Company, Durston launched the Anaconda Standard newspaper in 1889 and continued to serve as the paper's chief editor until 1912. Within this period, Durston's organizational and editorial abilities earned a prominent position for the Anaconda Standard in the journalism world. Carrying national, state, and local news, the Standard reached a daily circulation in excess of 20,000 and became the most widely distributed news publication in Montana before 1910.

Subjects
Commerce
Brick Buildings
Commercial Facilities


Related Names
Durston, J. H.
Daly, Marcus
Hawley, Monica E., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. THREE QUARTERS VIEW OF THE DURSTON BUILDING LOOKING SOUTHEAST. ONE OF THE ORIGINAL STOREFRONTS REMAINS IN PLACE ON THE MAIN STREET FACADE
2. SOUTH FACADE OF THE DURSTON BUILDING. SOME OF THE ENTRANCES ON THE EAST PARK AVENUE SIDE HAVE BEEN BOARDED UP, OTHERS HAVE BEEN ALTERED


Back to Anaconda, Montana