Anaconda Historic District, Davidson Block, 200 East Park Avenue, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT
See 16 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
200 East Park Avenue, Anaconda, MT
Find maps of Anaconda, MT
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MT-53-N
Building/structure dates: 1896 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Significance: Erected in 1896, the Davidson is one of the few remaining buildings in Anaconda which illustrate the city's rich commercial and architectural growth before 1900. The original structure measured 50 ft. on East Park Avenue and 100 ft. to the rear on Cherry Street. The cost of construction was $15,000. The building had two storefronts at the ground level with apartment space above. A 40 ft. extension was later added to the rear. An ornamental tower above the N.W. corner turret was removed sometime in the mid-twentieth century. T.C. Davidson, a native of Missouri moved to Deer Lodge county in 1882 to establish a cattle ranch. His property was subsequently purchased by the Anaconda Copper Company in 1883, and incorporated into the city's first land holdings. After purchasing a second ranch east of Anaconda, Davidson returned to reside in the newly founded city. He became a successful business man and acquired extensive holdings of business and residential property, most notably the Davidson Block. T.C. Davidson also remained active in community affairs throughout his career and served as county commissioner in 1901. In the twentieth century, the Davidson Block was the location of Coldwater's Shoe Store and the Stagg Apartments. Parson's Funeral Home is currently occupying the rear of this structure. The Community Development Agency now owns the Davidson Block. Building demolition is scheduled for the purpose of future mall development.
Davidson, T. C.
Bartlett, J. H.
Community Development Agency
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. THREE QUARTERS VIEW OF THE DAVIDSON BLOCK, LOOKING SOUTHEAST. THE TWO ORIGINAL MAIN STREET STOREFRONTS REMAIN INTACT, AND THE BUILDING IS DISTINGUISHED BY ITS ORNAMENTAL BRICKWORK. THE TURRET ON THE NORTHWEST CORNER WAS REMOVED IN THE MID-TWENTIETH CENTURY
Back to Anaconda, Montana